Best auto-reverse R2R for pre-recorded 4-track tapes ?

Hi,

I wanted to know what 4-track auto-reverse R2R machine would replace my Revox A77 ?
What I would like is:
- Best sound (ok, hard question there, but something that would equal or beat my A77)
- Better record/play quality at 3 3/4 ips (9.5cm/s) just in case I start enjoying that speed on pre-recored tapes (pop/rock but hardly classical unless someone recommends it.....)
- The possibility to record the auto-reverse signal at the end of a pre-recorded tape that doesn't have it yet
- If possible, an auto-load signal to automatically skip a silent section at the begining of Side 1. I read that Ampex used that signal but not sure what decks featured it (probably Ampex :scratch2:).

I'm not planing to get rid of my A77, but if I could find something better I would consider it.

Thanks !

I've got a Teac X1000R that I'm going to have refurbished. Looks like a sweet deck with all the features you mentioned, plus noise reduction built in. Looks unused, except that it was not stored well and is really dirty. Belt has rotted and there are some electronic issues. Lights are all dim when it powers up. Lots of features though. Looking forward to getting it running.

I think the old Akai 747 was also a pretty good deck with auto reverse. Never heard how it sounded but know it carried a pretty stellar reputation in its day. Looked really sharp too!

Cheers! :)

I don’t know that I can say what is best because there are a lot of good choices out there, but I can say my Akai GX77 has outlasted everything I’ve ever owned with very little maintenance. It works great and sounds great... certainly better than the Revox A77. The only deal killer for some is that its limited to 7-inch reels. I bought it about 1986. Since then I’ve only had to replace a capstan belt and drive belt. At 3.75 ips its not bad, but at 7.5 ips its as good as it gets. Auto reverse is triggered by affixing sensing foil to the end of the tape. They come in silver or black. I have the more rare black panel version.

Back