Best Amp for recording purpose

Helmut

I am just going to fling the following question into the middle and wait for some answer (or oppinions, whatever). What would be the best guitar amp to use to record mostly overdriven metal riffs. The sound I want to get is a good full metal sound like for example pantera etc?
Thanks people!

The best amp that I have found for recording anything from metal to country is the Mesa Boogie Trem-o-verb. This amp is a dual channel,dual recifier amp, and rocks. I don't know what Pantera uses, but Metalicia uses the triple rectifier verson. The thing goes for close to $2000 bucks to and weighs in at close to 100lbs. I can just about lift it and is not fun to cart around without a roadie.
If the price is to high I would recommend a Marshall tube amp if even that is too much look into the sans amp simulator. This little boxes do alot for about $125.00

Look in the VHT's. And make sure you have your first born there with you to pay for one. They certainly ARE the metal amp.

Ed

Ok..hopefully this will not create a huge solid state Vs. tube discussion but anyways:

If you are looking for an exact replica of Pantera's sound, Dimebag uses a Randall WarHead solid state amp...it is very edgy, and raw...perfect for metal applications....I would agree with Mikeo in saying you need to go with a Boogie...here's my plug again for their company..but they make outstanding high gain amps...and they are tube amps they have that tone I love....

For an awesome setup...go with a single or dual rectifier head, with a Mesa 4 x 12 cab...your tone will be outstanding....

I dont know if you are a fan of Dream Theater or not..but their guitarist Jon Petrucci has a setup of a Mesa/Heartbreaker head for clean, and swithces to a couple of Mesa 2:90 power amps to crank his Lexicon/Mesa tri axis pre amp.....Check out his tone on M2..and you'll see what I'm talking about...the only bad thing...your looking at a lot of dough for Mesa products, probably $2500 for a rectifier head and 4 x 12 cabinet...

This is just my opinion for what its worth......... Heat

Great info's, but this is all very expensive. What do you guys think of Peavey. Peavey bandit etc. Solid states?

I would stay away from Peavey. Well, let me qualify that. I would stay away from Peavey if you want the amp's distortion because Peavey's is too noisy. Their clean sound is pretty decent. The Bandit 112 (Transtube) has a very good clean sound. If you get your distortion through a pedal, than that may be worth a go. But in all honesty, go with the POD. Get a small Fender amp if you need to get controlled feed back and use it to monitor your guitar sound, but use the POD for actually recording, You will be amazed at its versitality and its modeling.

Peace, Jim

If money is no object:

Bogner.

Bogner Shiva heads for classic Marshall Plexi and Fender blackface twin sounds.

Bogner Ecstacy for all of the above and super high gain.

These are the best channel switching amps made, and that isn't just my humble opinion.

Mesa = nasal mud.

To get a metal sound like Tony Iommi; I use a
Laney Pro 50 all tube head and a Marshall 4 x
12 bottom. You can find a Laney head for less than $300 used. Mine refuses to render a clean sound and kicks any Boogie or VHT etcs. ASS!
Rock On!

Burton- hey I like that "nasal" mud. :) but not enough to buy a Marshall!

The thing with mesas is that they are very versitile. I've had three. (Mark II head and cab, trem-o-verb, and now a small efficient DC-3) I loved them all. I wish I had all three of them but, alas, I had to trade them in for the next one!

-jhe

Yo timtraynor, does that Pro 50 head have 6l6's or EL84's? I have the VC50 2/12 and thinking about trying a pair of 84's in it, but the 6l6's sound pretty damm good like it is.

Back to the topic, my choice if I was going to record "mostly overdriven" metal riffs would be a Pod or SansAmp, I've heard the Pod and its KILLER, I've had a SansAmp and its KILLER but stay away from Peavey solid state shit...did I say shit? ah shit I did say shit.

James - The "mesa = mud" part was my humble opinion. I also will say that I have heard Mesa rigs sound really good in some hands. I'm personally not big on the heavy scooped mid's sound, but Carlos Santana can really make a Boogie sing.

Also, the Mesa Heartbreaker heads sound really good. I'd personally take your old Mark 2 head over a new Recto. Mesa also has some of the best build quality of today's mass-produced amps. Still, for pure tone, give me a Bogner or VHT.

Yo David-My Laney uses 2 Sovtek EL34 power tubes and 4 12AX7 preamp tubes. I was tempted to change the tubes also but don't want to fuck with the killer grind I am getting. Rock On!

Burton, Yeah I wish I still had that Mark II head, I just didn't like hauling a stack around. Actually for a more grinding sound the newer mesas are better, The mark II was just pure pure sweetness. I had the recto for just a little while. I like the DC-3 better. The absolute best sounding Mesa is the newer Mark I, oh man- it sounds so beautiful, Only one channel though so It wasen't the best option for me.

My DC-3 and a lot of the newer Mesa's have a dedicated recording output. It does a good job of not sounding so direct, sometimes I actually like it better then the sound from the speaker. Just food for thought.

-jhe

Back