best 5 string bass strings for drop c?

Are you playing a 4 string in drop C or a 5 string that you're tuning the B up to C?

If the case is the former, the 4 string in drop C, go for GHS Bass Boomers, 55-115...they hold it very well.

Look into a tapper core string - they tend to do better when tuned down to an extreme like that.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I wouldn't think that it'd take any different gauge of strings than you're already using, or whatever comes standard on a 5-string with a similar scale length as whatever you're using.

Just tune the low B string up 1/2 step, and then you have an easy low C to use.

i am using a 5 string bass, untill now i tuned the low B up to C and the rest accordingly, but now im tuining the 4 normal strings to drop c and the low b im not to sure yet. (any suggestions on that would also be good) cheers!

i am using a 5 string bass, untill now i tuned the low B up to C and the rest accordingly, but now im tuining the 4 normal strings to drop c and the low b im not to sure yet. (any suggestions on that would also be good) cheers!

Why? Drop C tuning on the 4 strings and tuning the B commensurately would send the B down to a G; I don't think you are going to get that out of either a B string or a normal bass rig. Do you really need to get that low?

Why not just tune normally and go get that C when you need it from the B string, and shift all your patterns down a string and up a fret? Are you depending a lot on open strings? If so, I'd get away from that.

OK. I had this problem too. I filled in with a metal band tuned to C. (not drop C) I play a 5, so I up tuned a half step, and it sucked. It sucked bigtime. I'd get a 4 string if you can, and detune the E to a C, or change your 5 string to an EADGB, and detune to C. My two cents anyway.

OK. I had this problem too. I filled in with a metal band tuned to C. (not drop C) I play a 5, so I up tuned a half step, and it sucked. It sucked bigtime. I'd get a 4 string if you can, and detune the E to a C, or change your 5 string to an EADGB, and detune to C. My two cents anyway.

What's the diff between a 4 string tuned down a third and the lower 4 strings of a 5 string tuned up a half step?

What's the diff between a 4 string tuned down a third and the lower 4 strings of a 5 string tuned up a half step?

HUGE! :D

Tuning up a half step is going to make the strings HELLA tight. Tuning down will make them loose. I'll take loose over hella tight any day...at least on my bass strings. :D

HUGE! :D

Tuning up a half step is going to make the strings HELLA tight. Tuning down will make them loose. I'll take loose over hella tight any day...at least on my bass strings. :D

Yeah i played tuned up half step before which was ok, but im not using a pick much anymore and i find it rubbish to play with ur fingers. Also cant it warp the neck having that much tension there..

Yeah i played tuned up half step before which was ok, but im not using a pick much anymore and i find it rubbish to play with ur fingers. Also cant it warp the neck having that much tension there..

Oops, yeah, I forget some bassists use a pick....I guess it wouldn't be as bad, but I do a lot of bends and slides, which sucked with flats being tuned up. Rounds aren't quite as tensioned.

Oops, yeah, I forget some bassists use a pick....I guess it wouldn't be as bad, but I do a lot of bends and slides, which sucked with flats being tuned up. Rounds aren't quite as tensioned.

Thanks for your advice, yeah im liking playing with my fingers opposed to picks now, im not one to argue over the matter though,
i know allot of people do :P

Are you playing a 4 string in drop C or a 5 string that you're tuning the B up to C?

If the case is the former, the 4 string in drop C, go for GHS Bass Boomers, 55-115...they hold it very well.

Nah im playing i five string and ive stopped tuning the B up to C, but i may consider your suggestion because they do 5 string sets, thanks

Back