Berry 2031A Analysis

BlindCowboy

My position on Berry gear: I give every piece of gear, berry or not, an equal shot at performing. If it is lower cost, and performs as good or better than a higher end piece of equipment, then it is the best value/equipment. Period. I don't care what the name is. If it's shit, it's shit. If it's good, it's good. Knowing that the name 'Behringer' evokes bias and predudice, I was quite conservative in my tests. And made a game out of it.

I put the 2031A next to the 20/20's and set the position of each monitor to the correct angle for the listener. Equal distances, with the outside (Berry) monitors angling in a little more to center on the listener. Typical A/B setup with both monitor pairs.

For the test mix, I tracked up 1min of drum 'n' bass hip hop, then some latin salsa, duet with acousitic steel and classical guitars, manhiem steamroller, Metallica, Dixie Chicks. About 6 min. in total.

The only part of the game was, you couldn't look at the monitors to determine which was on at the moment. And, I took myself out of the test. I had four of my friends (including the owner of the 20/20's) participate. We ran through the mix 3 times, and I switched the signal from the 20/20's to the 2031A's and visa versa halfway through each section of the mix test. Each person wrote down which of the pair they prefered as they listened. I figured that was about the best way to have an objective non-biased test of the equipment.

The Results:
Hip Hop: 20/20: 1 | 2031A: 3
Salsa: 20/20: 2 | 2031A: 2
Guitars: 20/20: 1 | 2031A: 3
Manhiem: 20/20: 1 | 2031A: 3
Metallica: 20/20: 2 | 2031A: 2
Dixie Chicks: 20/20: 1 | 2031A: 3

The totals ended at 66.667% in favor of the 2031A monitors over the 20/20's. The 20/20 owner was more favorable towards his monitors with a rating of 83.334% towards the 20/20's. But then, I would be surprised if he couldn't pick his own monitors out. He did say that he preferred the performance of the 2031As on the Hip Hop mix because it presented a more defined bass response that he had been looking for.

As I stated before, the 2031A monitor performs admirably, especially considering the cost. I do notice a bit of a lag in the high-mids, but I have been able to adjust for that without too much of an issue.

I do not post this review to justify my purchase. This is for the use of the reader in making an educated, unbiased decision on picking a piece of equipment to incorporate into your studio and life that will perform to your expectations. In my opinion, Berry has done an awsome job with this monitor. And I would highly suggest purchasing these as a primary set for the home studio owner, or a secondary set for someone who would like another aural opinion on the mix. As for me, i'm happy. And that is truly all that counts.

Blind Cowboy...

I own the berrys myself but just because a few people prefered the way they "sounded" does'nt really atteset to thier value as a tool. I notice that when someone touts a monitor on this board they rarely say if it helped thier mixes translate better. Is'nt that the main purpose of monitors? I don't have the friends or resources to do it but I would try organize a mix test. Mix on Berrys and play back on Boombox/homestereo/car and see how that goes.

Hey Loveless,

Actually, mixing with them is what I purchased them for, and what I will be doing tonight. I've got three mixes that I will be running through that i've always had trouble with. (Given my limited knowledge)

And, as stated, I have just received these and wanted to have a fun little equipment comparison. I can assure you, we're just having fun trying out new equipment. Nothing more. I just happen to be a little number geek, so I had to take tally's and averages.

No biggy.

Blind Cowboy...

Thats cool man. I was'nt trying to be down on your test, I just did'nt want the Anti-Behringer crowd to have another esaily dismisable piece of "research". I personally think that they are a great value. I just wanted to beat the nay-sayers to the punch.

That is somewhat startling. I will check em out... but in "nay-say mode" :p it IS a really unsienctific approach you did there. If you took some JVC stereo speakers i guess everyone woudl have picked them (at least in the hip hop cat) because of bigger bass... right?

G.

guhlenn said:
it IS a really unsienctific approach you did there

Yea. MIT denied my application for admittance. So, I guess i'm not a scientist. I'll tell ya what. How about I build me an anechoic chamber, hire me a team of acoustic engineers, buy every set of monitors available to the home recorder, and spend the next year and a couple of 100,000,000 performing a rigorous 1000 point inspection on how they translate my crappy, sad excuse for music, to the listener.

Nah. I think 5 drunk rednecks with nothing better to do on a Saturday night's good enough. Oh, by the way. I think it's spelled 'unscientific'.

Blind Cowboy...

Thanks for sharing your team's comparisons, Cowboy. I can't remember where I read the "$500 Monitor Shoot-Out" article (online), but you came up with similar results. In that article, the Behringer Truths easily bested the other popular models (including some M-Audios, which I own).

It's always interesting to find a decent cheaper product, eh?

Best,

J.

Sorry i pissed on your campfire. And you are sorry for bringing the spelling error up. I'm no native speaker. I wanted to add some constructive criticism (sp?) and I AM a scientist so I felt I could. I gave you the exact reason WHY i thought it was somewhat weird research (which I did cuz i wanted to find out whether it mattered or not, I am only trying to learn here...). Instead of giving arguments why my points of criticism do not matter you thought you should start flaming me. Lay off the f*cking coffee :rolleyes:

Guhlenn

Last edited:
No it was not very scientific but much better than the normal "they are made by Behringer so they must be shit" type of comment.

Give me the results of a blind test anytime over prejudice.

Tony

wilkee said:
Give me the results of a blind test anytime over prejudice.

Maybe someone could do the same for gold connectors.....one more person talking about the enhanced clarity of their upper mids due to a 1 micron gold layer on their RCA cables and I will start drinking again...... :D

boingoman said:
Maybe someone could do the same for gold connectors.....one more person talking about the enhanced clarity of their upper mids due to a 1 micron gold layer on their RCA cables and I will start drinking again...... :D

Do not get me started on that subject or cables. IMHO some of the biggest load of bullshit has been reserved for these topics.

guhlenn said:
Sorry i pissed on your campfire.

Uh, bad translation:

I didn't mean to flame you. I was actually making a sad attempt at being a humorous smart ass. Meant for a giggle, and only that. Hence the redneck comment. I wasn't trying to be defensive, i've got nothing to be defensive about. Just a bit of fun... Come on.. you know you want to laugh. What's really funny, is that you are a scientist, and you mis-spelled it. I mean, ya gotta giggle at that a bit, don't you? If we can't laugh at ourselves, then laugh at someone else, right?

As for the gold: I was at Best Buy and they sold me a pair of Monster Cables for $200. But, they're only 3 ft long. So, I had to place the monitors right next to each other. I talked with the speaker guy that was helping me with the cables about this. He said that if I use the Monster cables it doesn't matter any more about my speaker placement. The new cables are double dipped gold tips with special braiding that lets the signals that are normally lost, through. So, no matter where my speakers are, it sounds the same everywhere. Plus, my vocals really stand out now thanks to the increase in the high-mids from the extra gold dip.

BlindCowboy said:
As for the gold: I was at Best Buy and they sold me a pair of Monster Cables for $200. But, they're only 3 ft long. So, I had to place the monitors right next to each other. I talked with the speaker guy that was helping me with the cables about this. He said that if I use the Monster cables it doesn't matter any more about my speaker placement. The new cables are double dipped gold tips with special braiding that lets the signals that are normally lost, through. So, no matter where my speakers are, it sounds the same everywhere. Plus, my vocals really stand out now thanks to the increase in the high-mids from the extra gold dip.

Did you piss yourself laughing at him or did you go ahead and buy the cables ?

Cause if you beleive that, I'm about to piss myself laughing... :eek:

BlindCowboy said:
Uh, bad translation:

MWAHAHAHAHAHAHHAH!!!!!!! :D

BTW I found this place where you can get a pair of 8' cables for $15000US.

Silver has the lowest electrical resistance if I remember from Chem/Phys.

Are those the berry monitors that go for about $300? There are about 3 or 4 maybe in that price range that I'm looking for.

The other thing, when I was comparing in the store they switched on a pair of expense monitors w/ bigger woofers and they sounded great, but I'm not looking for great sounding stereo speakers, i'm looking for a reference so I was confused about whether the bigger speaks were boosting bass freq.s in relation to others or were the others the flat response? I don't really know. Haven't bot any speaks yet.

junplugged said:
Silver has the lowest electrical resistance if I remember from Chem/Phys.

Are those the berry monitors that go for about $300? There are about 3 or 4 maybe in that price range that I'm looking for.

The other thing, when I was comparing in the store they switched on a pair of expense monitors w/ bigger woofers and they sounded great, but I'm not looking for great sounding stereo speakers, i'm looking for a reference so I was confused about whether the bigger speaks were boosting bass freq.s in relation to others or were the others the flat response? I don't really know. Haven't bot any speaks yet.

Give this guy a gold star. Gold is hogwash. All gold does is retard corrosion which is why the military uses it in all circuits. It has *nothing* to do with better sound *until* your connector ends corrode. Then the silver ends will have a negative impact on the sound. And BTW, it is of lille value if the connector recepticles are not gold also. Both have to be gold to have any real benefit.

vestast said:
Did you piss yourself laughing at him or did you go ahead and buy the cables ?Cause if you beleive that, I'm about to piss myself laughing... :eek:

Man!

Just to clarify: That 'Best Buy' story was completely fictional. Another vain attempt at sarcasm that was hopefully not totally lost. If I had a 'speaker guy' tell me anything remotely similar to that, I would probably lay him out and spend my night in jail happy knowing that I did the audio community a favor.

Monster Cable is a farce of marketing to the highest degree.

Jun: Monitors, in general, yield a flat reference. A monitor that accents the bass better, or really 'brings out the high mids' is adding color to the source and in my opinion is a bad, liar of a monitor. I look for something that will give me the Truth (pardon the pun) of what is recorded. That enables me to translate my mixes better to a stereo system, car, boom box, what have you. If a system is accentuating the bass, then it's not doing you any favors. If the bass ain't there, don't tell me it is.

Last edited:
Sorry blindcowboy. I didn't know you were just kidding around.....

You have to admit, you almost sounded serious. If it's any consolation, I didn't actually piss myself laughing :D

Back