behringer

Gianthands

I love the possibilties of all gear...crap gear...
give me a bucket and a spoon and you wont even remember led zepplin......

But i don't like behringer.............

anyone found any wonderful uses for the stuff?

Yeah, their mixers are crap, but some of their outboard gear is quite useful....

I have one of their HA4400 4 channel headphone amps, and have been pretty impressed with the performance, the high quality of the construction, and the attention to small details like having a user manual that is actually written in understandable English.

I can't remember how much I paid for it - I think it was just over $100, which is still less than I paid for a Samson Q5, which has fewer features (but has 5 channels), and isn't as well-made.

Just my opinion -

- Wil

if you need just a spare compressor lying around, the composer is good. they do a good digital eq unit too. they make some great outboard, check it all out.

will.....would like to know more about the behringer headphone amp...i'm currently looking to get me some headphone distribution
(see new thread titled headphone amps)

Hi,

I would fish it. Really, Behringer isn't that bad at some things. There are quite a bit of pro bands touring with Behringer composers and gates. Behringer just copies other folks like Mackie, Symetrix, ect.

the behringer stuff is well made. the soud of it, hmm, doesn't really lie in a pro studio, but ive found myself buying 6 of those gates cusi bought one, and it was well made so i bought some more. erm, also got 4 composers (only use em if i reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally need to, which i haven't yet-they sit by my 3630's!). and they sent the studio some tube mic preamp and a condensor mic to try out. but i haven't had a chance to yet. ill let you know how i get on. apparenly the mic pre is good value for money. dunno anything bout the mic yet.

-Romesh
Long Wave Studio

I have no personal experience with them.

Never considered getting a mixer from them, but I'm glad for the heads up anyway.

I always thought they were for live (not studio) mixing.

See above Icon for Behringer mixers!

Behringer comps are decent, workmanlike and are capable of doing a professional job in recordings.

actually...

"Yeah, their mixers are crap, but some of their outboard gear is quite useful...."

Not true...

We have a Eurodesk 48/24/8/2 with our 24 track studio. It's a great board. Here's the catch...

For a few years, Behringer copied Mackie's pre-amp design (the same way they do to develop many of their products)- however...

They copied the design SO closely that Mackie sued them and they had to go to a new pre-amp design. If you can find one of the older boards used, without the seller knowing what he has, you'll get the deal of a lifetime.

By the way, I have seen several engineers using Composers on monitor duty at arena performances and even once at foh!

I think it just a matter of the application you need this equipment for-
are you a pro, are you a musician, are you playing around in a homestudio (to all homestudio owners - no offense ment - I do have one myself)
fact is that you cant beat their prices, on the other side the age of miracles has passed- you get what you pay for.

Me personal , I'm trying to avoid behringer whereever I can, on all my live tech riders beringer is strictly forbidden, and I'm not happy when I see it in the racks, but when I'm doing live sound I'd not cancel a show because of it.

The main problem I have with this kind of gear (not just B) is that you don't know hat happens to the audio, because it's surely NOT whats printed on the front panel. E.g. the mentioned composer: the threshold settings are most inaccurate in terms of dynamic response times - cheap peak tetection unit - compression ratio : ever tried to set an Urei or a dbx 160 to 4:1 - you don't want do that to your singer unless you do a radio mix or you want to quit that job anyway. Me poor thing having to use behringer from time to time on small live shows I usually end up with 3,5:1 and I still get not the result of a dbx set to 2db - and I'm loosing all the brilliance and high end on the voice...

SO WHY SHOULD I USE IT?

apart from the fact that a box named 'COMPOSER' and 'AUTOCOM PRO' (!) really annoyes me...

electricbeats, I'm not sure where you're getting your info from
but I have been in many studios in NYC where Berhringer comps have been used. Bernard edwards at the Hit Factory uses 3 Multi-coms, Speed Davis @ Apple Studios (They record some of Puffy's tracks) and Bob Statzner(sic) @ Sony's also uses a Multi-Comm.
These are just a few. I've also had the pkeasure of seeing jazz-git
Eric Gale's soundman use Behringer comps for Eric's live recording.
As a owner Of the Multi-com,Auto-Com,Composer pro (along with
a Presonus and a RNC) I find Behringer processors to be clean simple to use and effective in the areas of gating and limiting, They work effciently in snare/kick compression and provide an adequate job on vocals (especially if you incorporate the "ENHANCER" feature). Though no where the best processor on the market,but d@mn for it's relativeely SMALL price you can;t really go wrong!
BTW, if you wanna a real comp ( though it's mono) go for the
got-d@mn RNC !!!

i'm getting my Infos from my ears and over 10 years being in the pro audio business, mind you -
apart from that, you can absolutely believe me that I really do NOT care who ever uses it, as well as I don't care who doesn't, specially since I had to use them and KNOW what I'm talking about.

At the time I ran a company with my partners we had behringer comps too, in the monitoring chain and for quick rough mixes, but I do not considder them as serious dynamic processors, I'm sorry.

O the "d@mn" RNC you're right tho, the stuff's great I got three racked up, whish they were symmertical, but thats an issue I can cope with at that price.

So, better give me a better explemation why I should use a device built to process dynamics that artificially adds high end to signals that all of a sudden lack it when compression is active...

Behringer comps aren't that bad. There are better, BUT I have used them for many projects and had great results. There is no best comp.

OK guys, I think we stop that here, maybe just read the first paragraph of the first post again:

I think it just a matter of the application you need this equipment for-
are you a pro, are you a musician, are you playing around in a homestudio (to all homestudio owners - no offense ment - I do have one myself)
fact is that you cant beat their prices, on the other side the age of miracles has passed- you get what you pay for.

OOOKKK?

everything ese is my personal opinion and experiences, I never said they are crap - you get what you pay for - I just rather not use them at all, its like with an eq on a cheap console- when you record and can't get the wanted result easily, just bypass it, get one good one for mixdown and try to get with mic placement as close as you can

and I guess we all know why they are in this price range and why behringer has been able to put quite a lot of products on the market in just a few years...

anyway, the topic asks about personal oppinions, here was mine

Back