Behringer Xenyx USB mixer vs Focusrite Scarlett (or nicer) interface

Should I get an audio interface?

• No, you're fine with your Behringer mixer.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, get an Apollo Twin.

• Yes - but spend a lot more, all the gear you mentioned is rubbish.

• Total voters

Oldfashioned

Hi everyone! Although I've been involved with music and bands for many years, I am only starting to do recordings at home and would like to get some help figuring out the following:

- I own a Behringer Xenyx 1204USB mixer, I use it for live shows and it works perfectly for me (I haven't really used the "USB" part much yet)

- I'm a singer/songwriter and not very technical (yet).

- Mostly, I will be recording acoustic guitar and a little phatty moog synth. Maybe some other things eventually... but not simultaneously, never simultaneously, just 1 channel at a time. Maybe 2, but rarely.

- I have a Blue microphone with a A/D converter that connects directly through USB, so I don't need an interface for it.

- I started experimenting and managed to record guitar/synth audio through my X1204 and it sounds ok to me.

So on to my question: is the audio quality that I can get from the Xenyx good enough for a record (CD, Spotify, etc) or I should invest $150-200 in a Focusrite interface to get higher audio quality? Is the difference noticeable? I'm looking at the specs:

Xenyx: 16 bits / 48 khz

Focusrite Scarlett: 24 bits / 192 khz

But since I will be recording at 44.1 khz in Ableton, and that's CD quality anyway... how important is that difference? Is that quality difference somehow captured before/while it's being "downgraded" into less resolution in my DAW?

I've been reading other threads and articles and found this noise floor concept: is that where I'm going to hear it?

And more importantly: Is it worth the $150???? Should I spend more in a better interface? Maybe an Apollo Twin?

Would love to hear your thoughts! Sorry if it's a stupid question.

That 16-bit setting on the Behringer is the biggest problem. It will mean you're best capture is going to be noisier and with less headroom than you'd get with anything that has 24-bit capability (and you use it, of course).

And, you're kind of limited, IIRC, to only getting a stereo signal from that USB connection, so you won't be able to record mono tracks and pan them simply without a little more futzing. In short, it's a mixer with a very cheap USB chip jammed in there. Speaking for myself, but I think most here, it may be Ok for capturing a live performance, but should not be your first choice for home recording.

Behringer has a line of Uphoria interfaces that are remarkable in their affordability, and they seem to get decent reviews. At least, I don't recall anyone posting here they had a bad experience.

Diminishing returns sets in pretty fast in interface value vs. price, IMO, and there are so many other things that probably impact your recording more.

P.S. My vote would probably have been "other."

The other thing that the Behr limits you on is monitoring - you are likely going to get very limited (and with some latency) monitoring ability - listening to tracks you've already recorded while tracking new things. ALso, if you want to keep using the USB mic, you will switching off 'audio devices' in your DAW every time.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for your response, Keith!

That is really helpful. I'll take a look at my local shops and keep an eye on craiglist to see what I can find.

Happy New Year!

---------- Update ----------

Thank you very much, Mike!

That helps me a lot, I think you guys are convincing me of getting an interface... which is something I should have done years ago.

Happy New Year!

Back