behringer v-amp pro

Had one for a while but sold it - the EQ is fucking terrible, useless, ditto the tuner. Clean sounds were noisy. Its input overloads quite easily. It's OK for getting ideas down on a cassette four track, if you get my drift.

I tried one in a live situation once. Nightmare.

chestwick91 said:
whos it made by?.....prolly not

Behringer makes several good pieces of gear that I'm aware of.

I've never tried the V-Amp pro but I've heard a lot of good things about it, and some bad things.

It might be worth a shot if you can try one out.

I think it will do ok, I cannot swear to this though, I have only played with my brothers from time to time... but he just has the little one, not the pro....

I have seen a lot of people on here using one though, I am sure that some of the tracks I listen to on the other places Forum were tracked with one.....

I have one and use it. I'm not going to say that it competes with mic'ing an amp by any means, but it's not useless. I've gotten some usable lead and clean sounds out of it, but I'm not too fond of it for heavily distorted rhythm playing, it's too grainy and has no power in the sound. With the right amount of tweaking and a good ear, you might get some decent sounds out of it.

I pretty much just use it for getting down quick ideas and things like that.

I have the Bass V-amp pro and I think it does alright. Some people have noted recently on a bass line that I recorded that it really helped smooth out the dynamics compared to micing a bass amp.

This unit also has some patches made for guitar (safe to assume the quality of these is similar to the guitar orientated unit?) and they are okay, but I haven't used them to record with. I'm just getting into recording again and have mostly recorded bass and an electronic drum kit, but when I get around to guitars, I plan on micing an amp. I'd only use the Behringer if I was doing a rough demo or scratch track.

CP

mikey@thecave said:
i went to GC and they don't carry the V-amp .I tried out the Vox tonelab seems kinda nice.

I'd probably have the v-amp but I'm trying to avoid Behri stuff just to not sully my rep. I've got a Pod XTLive and a Digitech RP-50. Modellers take a lot a lot a lot of tweaking, but workable tone can be had.

It depends what you want to play. For heavy stuff the V-AMP Pro is better than just about any modeler out there, IMO. The cleans are pretty decent - as good as any comparable modeler out there. If you can't get a quiet clean you have a problem in your signal chain.

The V-AMP Pro's weak point in my opinion is it's medium gain stuff. I think if that is what you are trying to do, there may be some better units out there for that. But for heavy stuff and cleans it does well.

apl said:
I'd probably have the v-amp but I'm trying to avoid Behri stuff just to not sully my rep. I've got a Pod XTLive and a Digitech RP-50. Modellers take a lot a lot a lot of tweaking, but workable tone can be had.

Hi apl.....it's interesting that you mentioned 'rep' and the V-amp pro in the same sentence....I wouldn't be ashamed (if I understood you correctly :confused: ) of the v-amp pro; it's a good piece of equipment for what we'd pay, and it does have it's vice's (ie.that strange tuner, some mid-range overdrives can sound odd :) )..but all in all I will say quite proudly that I'll stay with my Vamp-pro....I just love it.
(if it means losing rep for admitting that, then I guess that's not saying much for the neg-repper, in this case). :(
It does record beautifully (I use it for all my lead work and clean stuff)...and it really shines through...IMO....and it works for me!! :)
Anyway...kindest regards to you all.
Superspit.

I have to say I recently got one and found it to be alright for direct recording (which is the majority of how I record) I've never tried it live yet but that's not what I bought it for. If you check ebay you can find one for under$100. I got mine for $80. For the price I definitely think it's worth it.

People seem to either hate or love their amp modellers. I have a POD 2.0 and I'm keeping it. I'm sorry, I don't have any experience with the Behr but I suspect it's much like the POD in that it can't replace an amp but for adding flavors to a backing track, quick set-up sound for jamming or trying different sounds on the fly and even for some limited lead tracks I find it to be a useful tool. Not an exclusive tool mind you. Like anything in tasteful moderation and proper application.

I'd recommend test-driving one before laying down the cash.

robin watson said:
Had one for a while but sold it - the EQ is fucking terrible, useless, ditto the tuner. Clean sounds were noisy. Its input overloads quite easily. It's OK for getting ideas down on a cassette four track, if you get my drift.

I tried one in a live situation once. Nightmare.

It sounds like the one that you had was broken. I have one and the EQ boosts and cuts just like it's supposed to. The tuner works perfectly fine like any other tuner. The lights tell you if you are sharp, flat, or in tune so I'm not sure how anyone could screw that up. The clean sounds are dead silent and if that's not quiet enough you can turn up the noise gate. I'm not sure how you can overload the input unless you are naive enough to plug something like pedals or rack FX into the front of it.

In my opinion a piece of equipment is only as good as its owner. I have the original v-amp, not 2 or pro, and I have been able to get some nice recording tones out of it. Whenever I told people it was done with the v-amp they were like what? that's pretty good for a v-amp.

As far as basing purchases off what people might think of you if you did.. way to be a poser tbh.

Mistral said:
In my opinion a piece of equipment is only as good as its owner. I have the original v-amp, not 2 or pro, and I have been able to get some nice recording tones out of it. Whenever I told people it was done with the v-amp they were like what? that's pretty good for a v-amp.

As far as basing purchases off what people might think of you if you did.. way to be a poser tbh.

Well put Mistral.....it kind of 'irks' me too when folks do that.
Someone once said that if you can't make a hit record on a 4 track, then you can't make one in a pro studio...(words to that effect anyway)
......so why can't we transpose that theory into divices such as the V-amp or Pod or TS-9, or DM-2, a RadioShack mic, or an old Mapex drumkit....or whatever?

I've taken neg rep for simply mentioning a particular brand, as many of us here have too.....why?

Anyways...all the best matey!!
Regards,
Superspit.

amra said:
It depends what you want to play. For heavy stuff the V-AMP Pro is better than just about any modeler out there, IMO. The cleans are pretty decent - as good as any comparable modeler out there. If you can't get a quiet clean you have a problem in your signal chain.

The V-AMP Pro's weak point in my opinion is it's medium gain stuff. I think if that is what you are trying to do, there may be some better units out there for that. But for heavy stuff and cleans it does well.
Do you have any samples of it that you could post/link to?

Superspit... word.. anyway to me this "home recording" business is all about making the best out of what you have, we've all heard bad recordings done in "good" studios and good recordings done in home studios.. now I'm not arguing that there aren't some theoretical limits to what you can accomplish with a v-amp but if you know its characteristics well you can mold a great mix around it. Nowadays I would mix a couple of different methods just to get a fatter sound, but I would never be opposed to using a v-amp on a cd recording if I found a sound that I felt fit well. As with any other piece of gear, this is pretty much a 50/50 chance.

Back