Behringer Utragain Pro 8

Jross

Is the Behringer Ultragan Pro 8 a desent preamp? I would use it to link with a delta 1010. Anybody use it currently?? Sound? If this thing just sucks or if anyone likes a preamp they have, please share. I am looking for something simple.

Thanks!!

Last edited:
obviously its not going to give you the quality of a preamp thats thousands of dollars...ive been looking at new preamps myself lately and have decided in this category you generally get what you pay for...if you get 8 channels for a couple hundred bucks it isnt going to measure up to a unit the cost thousands for two channels....it all depends on how much you want to spend for you sound and how good of a sound you need to get

I use an ADA-8000 to add 8 more preamps to my MOTU828mkII via ADAT lightpipe connection, it works very well in this regard, especially for the money.

I would choose something else for your needs, the ADA-8000 does not have a direct thru for the pre's, they are really made for use with the ADAT connections, all channels would have to go thru the A-D then thru the D-A to get out thru the analog outs, which would require that you hook it's ADAT output looped back to it's ADAT input to get the signal to the line outputs, so for each track, counting one more A-D conversion going thru the Delta 1010, you'd have 3 conversions taking place before the track gets recorded.

There are other choices in a comparable price range that I'd be looking at, maybe the SM-Pro 8 channel,

like this..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/240160/

or this..

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_pid/480830/

:)

The pre's are (at least sound) the same as the ones in the UB mixers. That's to say, they aren't great but certainly usable. They're fairly transparent and quiet except for the most extreme gain/trim settings. For the price it's a no brainer. If you are willing to part with a little more cash, I would recommend the M-Audio Octane

i was considering this preamp myself, iv just looked at the SM-Pro 8 channel which looks and sounds good for the prcie but i could really do with a preamp with xlr out puts then i dont need buy a whole new set of leads. dose anyone know of a pre amp in this price range with xlr outputs

Jimmy2002 said:
i was considering this preamp myself, iv just looked at the SM-Pro 8 channel which looks and sounds good for the prcie but i could really do with a preamp with xlr out puts then i dont need buy a whole new set of leads. dose anyone know of a pre amp in this price range with xlr outputs

Check out the top link in my other post, it has XLR outs.

Thanks alot for the info.....I am likeing the SM PR-8. However I do like the ADAT out on the Pro 8. Just in case i decide to go that route.

This is one of the best posting sites I have been on. Not much errogance nor people pretending like they know what they are talking about and giving bad advise. I guess it takes a certain type of person with attention to detail to do the stuff we do.

Once again,

Thanks alot :D

i own a pr-8 and i would defintly say DONT get it unless you must....the headroom is terrible...in my opinion you would be better off with the ultragain because i have a behri mixer and those preamps are better the my pr-8

I've got a UB mixer with the same preamps - as said before, not the best in the world, but more than usable, esp if you're on a budget. I've never had any huge complaints about them.

I have the ADA 8000 and the SM PR-8. I would say stay away from the SM Pro PR-8 because like stated in another post it has no headroom. I love my ADA 8000, way more headroom and IMO the pres sound better then PR-8. The price on the PR-8 is amazing ($135 canadian) but the unit is just plain garbage.

I have the ADA-8000, the SM Pro like the prvious poster states is super unreliable. I have had my ADA-800 since November of 2003 I had 2 of them and sold off one cuz I wasnt using them as much as I thought. LOL

I Like the piece. I have tracked many drum tracks through it and been well please.

I have mine linked to an MOTU 2408Mk3 Via the ADAT pipe. Works very well. Dont hit the pre's hard and you will be happy :)

Actually, I don't believe the ada8000 has the same pres as the UB series. I think it has the same pres as the Behringer digital mixer(ddx3216) which I have. They are much better sounding, IMO.

OK........So then Utragain then..

Is there anything better for a bit more money that I might be interested in??

Thanks

I Wouldnt.....both the sm pro audio and the ultragain are not good.....i dont think the difference between the two is worth the 140 dollars or so more that the ultragain costs....why do you need 8 pre's anyway...drum micing?

Here's an MP3 sample of a live recording done by Bob Lentini, (the developer of SAWStudio software), at the Golden Nugget hotel in Las Vegas, it's 24 tracks into a laptop running SAWStudio software, thru an RME Digiface using 3 ADA-8000's for I/O. (recorded at 16/44.1)

Note; (this was a Sager laptop with I think two 7200 rpm internal HD's)

Of course being an MP3 it's sound quality is slightly limited, but it should be good enough for a demonstration of the ADA-8000's usefulness as a "budget" mic pre/converter.

http://www.sawstudio.com/what_is_hip.htm

:)

Last edited:
Back