behringer ultragain pro

ffmada

has anybody had any experience with this cheap ($150)"tube" mic pre? I was hoping that I would be able to test one, but no body near me can get it. I have a bad feeling that it falls into the catergory of not so great cheap gear, but I hope it is another behringer "composer" quality product.

it may rock..

They rip off some really excellent companies with their products so i'd go for it test it first but it most likely is very clean.. as are their new compressors for the most part also digitech made this sleeper tube pre it is very nice!! not tube fat and dark, but tube excitement and shimer i guess you could call it... VTP-1 you may be able to find that cheap it was 1000 i got one for 400 and now they're probably in the range you are talking about..

there is studio in town. and the engineer likes the Ultragains so much he bought 12 of them to bypass his Neve board's pres. wow.

ultragain

I think their specs are almsost identical.. i think what there is to like about it is that the bandwith is that of a freakin awesome 2k per channel deal.. 2to200k HZ that's open like focusrites.. the tlaudios that i like better than mackies are only something like 10 to 40khz but they do sound nice and then there's the thd rating.. and the response curve something like +0/-1 on those.. i am still curious as to which he bought mad of and why..

hmm.

as far as i know they were the cheapo ones. i was talking about getting the some and he might not have known there were two different types. but then again who knows. maybe ill find myself talking with him sometimes soon. il check it out. even the lower priced ones have crazy EQ and cut features. Im still going to get one soon. for my stereo condensors.

go for it

mine should arrive on Tuesday;) I figured I might as well give it a try. If I don't like it I can always send it back for a couple of Art MP's;)

kristian said:
there is studio in town. and the engineer likes the Ultragains so much he bought 12 of them to bypass his Neve board's pres. wow.
Hmmm... sorry Kristian that's a tough one to swallow... there's NO WAY any engineer in the world is going to use a Behringer pre over a Neve, unless they were going for a specific (er, low-grade) sound....

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

uh oh
getting some second thoughts

I completely understand where Bruce is comin' from. Aren't those Neve boards some of the best. I need one of those too, only so I can compare of course;)

yeah neve just about is the best!! but it's only slightly modular he may have come across like he was choosing the behringers over the neve's but he may need something that "compares" that could leave if he or she needed to take them remote... or not to hog up space on the console if he uses it for monitoring... it also depends on the sound you want.. neve's are solid state but aren't the normal open crisp solid state.. they may compare.. ask him to compare them or anyone that can.. post the results it's always better to listen than to look at prices and names and all that...granted Neve is THE name.. but.. whatever...

you never know.

its all about the arsenal. you never know what he knows about them. ill give it a go to see if i can run into this guy. and then ill ask what he is using them for.

Not so fast there C7sus....

While my few experiences with NEVE preamps were very nice, I wouldn't describe them as by far the best preamp I have ever heard!

While I was tracking the Heavy Brothers CD, we had many Class A pre's available, including two NEVE's. We found that the ART offered a sound that was closer to the sound we wanted then the NEVE's did, and thus, used the ART on most everything on the CD! We also really liked the TL Audio Classic pre's too!

We tried some API's (actually I like the API sound more then NEVE) a Focusrite Red (not a very usable preamp for digital really....)a Telefunken straight gain pre (NICE!!!), etc.....

I have not played with the Behringer unit yet, but I have actually heard from some sources that I trust that they sound very very nice.

NEVE is not the end of the world, especially if you are tracking in digital. Now for analog, well, that is a whole different baby altogether! Give me the NEVE's, API's, Focusrites, Millenium Media's, Avalon's, Manley's!

Ed

like i said.

i will try. im glad not every tom dick and harry is jumping down my back for a truthful remark i made.

Kristian,

I don't think anyone is jumping on you personally - it's just that what you said was hard to swallow!! :) If it helps... *I* don't think any less of you! ;)

But anyways Sonusman is right... use the right tool for the job -- it may be that the right tool is sometimes the cheapest, most godawful unit you can get your hands on... The right tool is whatever sounds good.... mind you when I'm reaching for tools, Behringer ain't usually the closest!! :) But hey... maybe it should be! er... maybe not... well....

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

Incidently, I just looked at the Behringer -- there are 2 types of Ultragain mic pres -- the Pro at $230US list (with "integrated high-quality 12AX7 vacuum tube for super-musical tube sound" --- their words!) and they also have the Ultragain T1953 at $800US list.

Let's save the reasons behind Behringer ridiculous naming schemes and why their "PRO" lines is 3-4 times cheaper than their premium line for another thread!

But as far as these pres are concerned -- Are we all sure we're talking about the same units -- "PRO" vs their premium preamp??? ;)

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

like i said...

the bandwith specs--2-200khz are the same for either i dont' see the THD and S/N or freq response curve..but damn they're both clean

Back