Behringer UB502 mixing board

Laynestaley

Newbie Shmewbie
I want to be able to switch between my monitors and headphones in an easy way. The guy at the musicshop said I'd be needing a mixing board for that. Since I'll only be using it for this purpose I thought the cheapest one could do the job and that would be the Behringer UB502 Eurorack model. You can find the specs here: http://www.musicmakerpricebreaker.com/v2/details.asp?prodid=75827&taal=0

I've read a lot of bad things about Behringer mixers but I was thinking it would do for my needs by just placing it in between my soundcard and my monitors. Am I wrong here?

Also it says on the specs that it has "1 new state-of-the-art, studio-grade IMP “Invisible” Mic Preamp..." Does this mean I can actually use this thing to record by just plugging in a mic?

I don't know about *need*, but sure that is one way of solving it. That way you get both a headphone amp and a monitor out, with independant volume controls, and that's what you need.

You may find a heaphone amp that can do similar stuff. But otherwise that Behringer should be fine.

that will do what you want. for what they cost the small behringer mixers can only be good value as long as you are prepared to possibly take it back if it breaks.

the preamps in the UB series mixers are much better than they used to be, so yes you could record with this (although they still obviously sound poor compared to - more - expensive ones) but that would mean you were tying up your mixer output for recording.

getting a 4-buss mixer would allow you to do it all in one. i have the UB1204, using main outs for recording and group3-4 outs for monitoring. take a look at the Yamaha MG mixers too cos they're much better for very similar money (but they don't do tiny ones like the UB502).

Back