Behringer Shark

looks like:

Behringer
SHARK DSP110
ProductCode: 7823
Multi-Function Feedback Suppressor, Delay Line, Compressor/Noise Gate and Low-Cut Filter

If your just gunna use it for limiting might the Autocom be better? I hear those are good and they are around the same price as the shark. And they gotta be better.

It really can't- the compressor is very slow, too slow to be at all useful as a limiter. Minimum attack time is 10ms, so you'r egoing to let some serious peaks through.

I got one of these in a pinch last year to handle a difficult feedback problem on a live gig with a podium mic (spoken MC material, no musical use). It's a vaguely interesting piece: the feedback suppressor looks like it is a straight knockoff of the Sabine FBX-Solo. It trains easily enough, and as long as the power sdoesn't fail, it's usable.

The delay is usable, and actually has a pretty clever interface (it knows that sound travels 1080 fps most places, so it lets you enter the distance from the stage in feet or meters for delay compensation of remote speakers for live use). I would have used something like this for a permanent install in a room I know (it had two banks of fill speakers on the ceilings at 80 and 120 feet from the stage, respectively)- but the damned things have no nonvolatile memory, so you'd have to reset them each time you power cycled them. Suck. No joy.

The compressor/gate is nothing special, from the little use I've put it to. The built in preamp offers the possibility of using this unit as a kind of a wierd DI box, maybe on a piezo pickup for guitar or upright bass. Active-DI/compress/gate in one unit- worth thinking about, if you can find one cheap enough.

It also gets hot as hell. Whatever they put in their for the DSP dissipates easily 5 watts! I ought to open mine up and look inside, since I don't really care that much if it lives or dies... I'm looking in the manual now, and it does 24-bit A/D-D/A at- get this- 46.875kHz. Now, _there's_ a nice, standard value... Wonder what the hell they were thinking that day? So that's why it doesn't have S/PDIF outs...

In short, it's a vaguely interesting piece, but it's not your limiter. Do the Composer Pro for that. It is occasionally nice to have a feedback suppressor available for live work, though, and the Sharc doesn't do a bad job at all at that... There's something you're never likely to need for recording!

Last edited:
Back