behringer pres?

I agree with RE........

If you're going to upgrade, then... UPGRADE!

Saving up until you can buy a real upgrade makes the most sense!

well, what would you recommend? i'd like to get two channels in there if possible...

btw i was looking at specs for the T1953, and it says that it has a 21dBu max input...?

Look at a Grace 101, if you want a transparent sound (single channel)....

There's also a dual-channel (yes - the 201)....

True Systems Precision 8 gets high marks - 8-channels of excellent pres for a 2-channel price tag.... (I've budgeted for one of these myself for 2003!)

And the most cost-effective performer is very likely the 2-channel FMR Audio RNP...!

thanks for the info bruce. will look into it...

RE, any info on this: "T1953, and it says that it has a 21dBu max input...?"

from what i have read people really like the T1953, and even more so when the swap out the tubes like you (RE) did.

Does someone know if the inputs on the RNP are tranformer or transformerless type?

All the talk about this new pre has caught my attention. Maybe after the holidays.

lucid said:
thanks for the info bruce. will look into it...

RE, any info on this: "T1953, and it says that it has a 21dBu max input...?"

from what i have read people really like the T1953, and even more so when the swap out the tubes like you (RE) did.

lucid,

No. The T1953 has a max. input of +10dBu... One of the wosrt preamps I've ever seen in that regard! Check that out here:
http://www.behringer-download.de/T1953/T1953_C_Specs.pdf

So, just be aware of its limitations, and you can get around it by doing what I mentioned in my previous replies here, and you CAN get good results!

But quite frankly, if it were me, I'd probably live with my Behringer mixer preamps for awhile longer and save my money for an FMR RNP...

Sennheiser said:
Does someone know if the inputs on the RNP are tranformer or transformerless type?

Sennheiser, from FMR Audio's website:

"Both the mic inputs and mic pre outputs are electronically balanced, differential signals."

This means no transformer.

i hate to be the doubting thomas but i am starting to disbelieve all the hype about pres.

after hearing what Ed had to say about the ART pres and hearing some incredible mixes made on behringer mixers and ART pres in the MP3 clinic I am really of the state of mind that pres make only make a negligable difference. Maybe a trained ear could pick out the difference between a behringer and a mackie pre or, even a art and a neve, but i doubt the vast majority of music appreciators could.

Sorry VirtualSamana, but ANYONE who can't hear the difference between an ART and Neve has cotton in their ears! I highly doubt Ed was saying there isn't a difference or even much of a difference... It's more of a focus on opinion and simply getting things and actually using them! A LOT!!! There's MUCH more in the experience than in the gear...

ah now i see the mistake... the specs that i read said "audio input" and not mic input... which was the same as the specs on your link as the line ins... dammit!

oh well... looking hard at the DMP3 now. and i can get it for an amazing price here too... about USD180... :D :D :D

VirtualSamana said:
i hate to be the doubting thomas but i am starting to disbelieve all the hype about pres.

after hearing what Ed had to say about the ART pres and hearing some incredible mixes made on behringer mixers and ART pres in the MP3 clinic I am really of the state of mind that pres make only make a negligable difference. Maybe a trained ear could pick out the difference between a behringer and a mackie pre or, even a art and a neve, but i doubt the vast majority of music appreciators could.
Well... there can be a much smaller difference when you "quick compare" a single track from one pre to another.... BUT 24+ tracks of poor pres adds up quickly to a mediocre total....

Other good tubes than Mullard...?

Question for Recording Engineer:
I have just bought the Behringer T1953 pretty cheap, and I like it a lot. I'm planning to replace the tubes though, but I don't think it's even remotely possible to find Mullard CV4004's here in Sweden. Do you (or anyone else) have any suggestions for other tubes I could try to find? Thanks.

Blue Bear Sound said:

And the most cost-effective performer is very likely the 2-channel FMR Audio RNP...!

Where can you buy these in Ottawa... I wouldn't mind picking one up for my next project...I gotta blue tude doorstop. I need an upgrade.

Geoff

Back