Behringer-PLEEZE DON'T THROW THINGS AT ME!

Close the "configuration" window. The window behind it in your picture should say "windows" at the top. Click on that and choose "Edit". Does the edit window pop up?

ocnor said:
Close the "configuration" window. The window behind it in your picture should say "windows" at the top. Click on that and choose "Edit". Does the edit window pop up?
Yes, the Edit window is there.

Does the sound change when you adjust the parameters? Will it let you store the patch? If yes then I guess it's working.

I haven't gotten as far as adjusting parameters or storing patches. The first step is to have the V-AMP recognized by the PC/program. This hasn't happened else I would have the V-AMP displayed in the Recognized Devices window & default patches displayed in the patch grid. Also, if I right-click on a preset in the grid & select REQUEST, I get the error message "No response from V-AMP"

What did you do to get yours working?

Another stupid question but have you installed the latest drivers for your Soundblaster? Are your WinXP updates all current?

Editor said:
I haven't gotten as far as adjusting parameters or storing patches. The first step is to have the V-AMP recognized by the PC/program. This hasn't happened else I would have the V-AMP displayed in the Recognized Devices window & default patches displayed in the patch grid. Also, if I right-click on a preset in the grid & select REQUEST, I get the error message "No response from V-AMP"

What did you do to get yours working?
Mine did the same thing so I just started changing parameters and storing patches and it started working from then on. If you can change parameters and hear a difference in the sound then the unit is obviously communicating with the computer regardless of the error message.

ocnor said:
If you can change parameters and hear a difference in the sound then the unit is obviously communicating with the computer regardless of the error message.
OK, well I can twiddle the knobs but there is no change in sound. I tried storing a patch & that doesn't work either. Are you using XP too?

Yes I'm using XP too. OK try this: When you recieve the error box click "abort" then on the configuration window where it says "In Port" and "Out Port" set them both to "SB Audigy 2 ZS Midi IO [2800] and click OK . Now see if it makes a difference when you change parameters.

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone (especially ocnor & MOFO) for putting up with my questions. I got the thing working!

ocnor: U were right. I got tired of fighting with the thing so I thought I'd just plug in a guitar & headphones & jam a bit. Opened the Design program for old times sake ... same old error message ... ABORT ... selected SB MIDI I/O for MIDI IN ... SB SYNTH SOMETHINGOROTHER for MIDI OUT ... clicked on a patch ... THE SOUND CHANGED IN THE HEADPHONES! (The headphones were plugged directly into the V-AMP 2)

I may have been monitoring through my soundcard or speakers the last 50 times I tried things, I don't know. Another expectation was that the patch grid on the screen would show the default settings if I made a good connection. No changes occurred. Whutever. It works:)

For anyone else out there Googling for an answer to this ...

"The V-AMP 2 Design Program and gameport/MIDI cable combination DOES work under Windows XP & XP Home but not the way it is advertised in the manual."

MOFO: Thanks for the MIDI guidance & pointer towards MIDI Ox. As soon as I get time, I am going investigate that program further

No problem...

But I don't understand how that worked... If you selected sound blaster midi synth as the output port... it should direct your midi comms to the sound card wave tables... not the midi output... hey whatever works :confused:

And your right... you'd expect the software to populate from the V-amp patch tables...

MOFO Pro said:
But I don't understand how that worked... hey whatever works :confused:

'zactly ;) ?!?

You may appreciate this (you too ocnor):

(email to Behringer after a really snotty reply to my question)

Dear Automated Responder (Chris P),

After searching the internet and making contact with many V-AMP 2 users, I have stumbled across a 'workaround'. The problem I described to you is apparently experienced by quite a few other users.

The solution is to click the 'Abort' button then start using the program . That is to say; ignore the suggested results stated in your user instructions that accompany the software, the descriptions on your web site and various advertisments from other sources.

I had expected; quite reasonably I think; to see the default patches grid displaying default patch information after changing the MIDI THRU to MIDI OUT configuration and a successful rescan. This did not happen and launches of the Design program continue to initiate with an error message. Since I took the advice of other wise users, however, I can now build custom patches, download presets and otherwise make use of the features that I paid for in the first place, albeit under annoying circumstances.

It is only by accident that I plugged a set of headphones directly into the V-AMP 2 unit and tried a few patch adjustments before I was able to hear any change in sound and verify MIDI communication.

>> There is one thing I am curious about. In your screenshot VAMP2.JPG I noticed that the MIDI in port was grayed out as opposed to the MIDI out port not grayed out.
>> Maybe check the configuration of your soundcard...
>> Maybe try a new set of midi cables.
>> One other possibility is that maybe the game port connector is faulty.

Yes, I was curious about all that as well but of course, I am the one who paid $169.00 + 8% P.S.T. & 7% G.S.T Canadian to enjoy the Behringer experience. I would be the last person to arrogantly suggest that my computer system is faultless but even my limited resources lead me to other possibilities:

Maybe Behringer R & D was rushed to make quick profits.

A line of code could have gone astray.

Given the rapid metamorphosis of operating systems, Behringer might have missed something.

When I noticed the skimping on materials; particularly the jacks and main housing; I suspected possible hardware malfunctions.

Perhaps something was lost in the translations of the manual (I had to give that some thought; I speak English primarily but also know a bit of French, German, Spanish, Italian and Finn-- none of this made the manuals crytal clear)

Believe it or not, I am a supporter of the Behringer product line and company as a whole. It is, however, becoming increasingly difficult to defend my purchases of your products when I am left to my own devices to make your products work as advertised.

Sincerely,

Customer (Christopher E. Ahrensback)
cahrensback@shaw.ca

( To paraphrase your response to me: (I) will assume your company cares not for its customers if (I) do not hear from you within 48 hours. )

Well, do you think they're going to send me free products? ... make me BETA tester? I didn't think so ;) Thanks again people :)

I found a solution! Turn off your sequencing program, like Cakewalk
or ProTools, etc.. Then try it!

Back