Behringer ECM8000

bgavin

I'm looking at one of these for a measurement mic, for subwoofers.

Anybody have experience using this mic for measurements, not music?

You could definitely do worse. The main drawbacks are 1) Response curve deviations from stated values are fairly common and 2) the ECM8000 has relatively poor impulse response.

The second is only a factor if you are using an analysis tool which can use impulse response info, like JBL Smaart or something like it. The ECM8000 just can't keep up with short impulses.

The first is more important, but should get you well within the ballpark, as deviations aren't more than a couple db.

Some slightly more expensive, but more consistent mics:
Superlux ECM999
dbx RTA-M
Audix TR40

The first two are around $100, the Audix is about $180 new.

If you get one of those dbx PA drivers that does all your feedback supression, crossovers etc automatically, you get one of the measurement mics free with it. They're a little expensive but they got an awesome review in SOS last month - looks like a serious piece of kit. The reviewer just kept saying "whatever I do, this thing makes my PA sound better than I can".

I have a Rane RA1 that is part of my RA27 analyzer. This mic is similar to the ECM8000 in appearance, but the capsule lineage is unknown to me.

The Rane requires a peculiar phantom arrangement, about 9v, I think. I don't have a problem with this, except I have to fabricate a power supply for it, and I'm lazy.

I have a line on a cheap ECM8000 right now, and was just curious. I suppose it is probably worth $25 or so. I'm only interested in 30 to 200 Hz response.

The intended use for the ECM8000 is driving a laptop running TrueRTA.

The RA27 does not have a mic-out, so I would have to use the mic with a separate phantom supply to drive the laptop. The Rane MIC1 indeed has an absolute maximum of +10v phantom. The magic smoke will escape if this is exceeded.

If I get outbid on the ECM8000, no big deal, as it will require a phantom supply for operation. I have a rack mount Rolls Phantom Hex, but that would mean carrying a rack around. A tiny PSU for the Rane would be smaller.

I have no idea if the Rane is a higher quality capsule than the ECM8000.

Cool. TrueRTA is supposed to be good software.

LOL> I was going to point you to a thread on PSW. It's by this guy bgavin. :D

I'd love to hear what you think about the Tuba design after you build it.

Well, at the time it was released, it was guaranteed to deviate by no more than 1db from 20-16k, and be at +2db at 20k.

Time may have changed that, though.

I bought the plans for the Tuba24 and the AutoTuba.

The AutoTuba interests me more, because it is a true horn, quarter-wave design for 41 Hz. The Tuba24 is a short horn (60 Hz) with a bandpass throat chamber. Novel idea, for sure. RTA analysis of the Tuba24 shows it is good and loud in the PA region. Those wanting 41 Hz will have to find another solution.

Tuba24 in Half-Space (Outdoors)

Like all horns, they require sufficient length and mouth area to be efficient. Including the Tuba24. My plans are for multiple AutoTuba (4) using ground plane half space, even though this will fall significantly short of the required 30 square feet for optimal performance.

As for the ECM8000, I understand this is a pretty good measurement mic for a low price, and suitable to the above purpose. Even the Rane MIC1 has awfully high self-noise, so I'm sure this one does too.

Does anybody have documentation of the ECM8000 using a Panasonic capsule? If so, I will contact Rane and inquire about the capsule they use.

Back