behringer desks - the bottom line...

gjhardwick

i was thinking of buying a behringer mx2004a, but i've just been told that 'the cheaper behringer desks are horrid'.

i've seen loads of posts on the board about behringer/mackie stuff, but just give me a straight answer, is the mx2004a any good???

cheers

Why don't you save a lil more dollars and check out the 1642VLZ pro. Way excellent mic pre's and more channel strips. I own a 1202 and the Alesis studio 32(decent mixer on the budgetary side.needs better EQ and mic pre's are barely adequate)My 1202 is an excellent mixer built for both home and road use.
I had the Behringer MX2624 and it was a piece of garbage!
Along with others problems the Behringer had,my biggest complaint was the damn thing had no on/off switch and produced too much heat.Just my $.02 worth.

quite honestly, i own an Alesis Studio 32, and i really have found it totally worth the price (799). I think this board deserves more credit. Ive used it for so many different applications, such as hooked up to 2 adats (connections took like 2 minutes because of the direct ins and tape outs on ALL 16 channels, NOT JUST 8). It will suit your needs with a great price. I seriously dont think the pres are that bad. If it bothers you that much, just by a separate pre-amp. Im pretty sure thats what most people do anyway. The EQ is decent, not great, but decent. Ive also found that alesis made it VERY easy to make a headphone mix, and the busses really can help you out too.

All in all, the other boards (bheringer, mackie vlz's) they have it too, but you pay alot more. For some reason i tend to think that people stand by mackie just because everyone else does, so they get a bit close minded. I was skeptical too when i bought the Studio 32, but now ive used the other boards and always seem to find myself coming back to the one i have.
i hope this can help :)

Yo Skyline,I am not really putting down the A32(and BTW,the direct-outs are perfect,eliminating the need to re-patch)but speaking from the experience with owning and operating A Behringer,Alesis and a Mackie,I have to firmly place the Mackie ahead of both as far as the pre's and EQ are concerned. 4get about Behringer mixers,they suck!The Alesis 32, you must admit,that the Eq is not on par as other mixers in it's category or price range.Especially the mid-range frequencies,and buttons so small you can't tell if thier depressed.Now don't get me wrong,I like my A-32,and it's great for recording to ADAT's,but it's basically a budgetary mixer 1 can use until an individual can save up enuff $$$ for a better mixer.
Peace

[Edited by MISTERQCUE on 08-28-2000 at 11:13]

My take on Behringer, Alesis

Well I have to come down a little bit on both sides of the question. Several months ago I had a cheap old mixer and wanted to upgrade. I liked Mackie quality but price was too high, and their mixers do not have tape returns, so I would need lots of channels, lots of $$$. I looked at the Alesis Studio 32 and decided that was the way to go, but found out about Behringer at the last minute. I looked at the specs of the MX3282A and it was exactly what I wanted. I also looked at the 802A, tiny unit with 8 channels for a mere $119, and thought that would be a dandy little box to put in my upstairs computer room. I bought it, have been using it for months, and it has been flawless - quiet and reliable. My only complaint is that it does not have a grounded plug, which seems a little odd (those Germans must know something I don't...). After a few weeks I had decided to go with the Behringer MX3282A for my new main mixer but found out that Guitar Center (the only place that seems to carry it) was out of stock and would be for months. So I bought the Alesis Studio 32. It has also been flawless, very quiet, mic preamps more than acceptable to my ears. My only dislike about it is that it's in-line design (16 channels + 16 returns) and general layout means you are flipping quite a few switchs when you go from recording to mixdown - the MX3282 has no tape returns but 32 inputs, so you would have less work to do. But this is just a matter of my getting used to the board which is not really a problem.

The biggest (legitimate) bitch I have heard about Behringer is problems with having to send broken / defective product to Germany to get it fixed. They are apparently still in the process of setting up a US service network. Until they do I would be cautious about buying one of their boards if it is going to be a serious income generator for you. I fit more into the catagory of "obsessed hobbiest" so that was not a big deal with me.

This is not to dis Behringer gear(I own one of their compressors),but to me it's unlikely that if and when they set up a U.S. network they'll be selling their stuff at near the prices it goes for now, which is the same reason Mackie stuff now costs so much more:domestic labor and after market assistance paid in US dollars.But it's a trend in almost all other consumer industries to sell stuff here that's made offshore,I don't see it stopping anytime soon.But I would hate like hell to have to send a fried mixer to Germany and wait 2 months like the poor guy on the other similar thread.That 2 mo. of down time is largely worth the xtra $ my Mackie cost me.

Back