Behringer C-2 / C2 - MODs Modifications

aleaney

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I've got a matched pair of the c-2's, like many others I made the $50 plunge now I'd like to upgrade it, mod it out if possible. I know some have changed the diaphragm with the Teac ME-120. But those are a rare find now - so just really what components should I change?

Here's some photo's any help would be greatly appreciated!

If its not too late, I would suggest returning the noisy, papery-sounding Behringer C-2 mics (caused by the $0.99 Transsound electret capsule in them) and get a pair of true, externally polarized Nady CM-90 SDCs which are on sale at Musician's Friend for $39.95.

This is the same mic as the MXL 603 (and half a dozen others) that was inspired by the Neumann '84 / '184 capsule and Schoeps-design transformerless circuit.

I would agree with the "return it part". That said, I'm not a fan of the CM-90. Maybe they've improved them since I got mine.... With a significant recap (replacing the dozen or so tantalum caps with either film caps or silver mica caps, depending on their value), my CM-90 pair became at least usable. Stock, my pair sounded like a harsh, brittle mess compared with even my unmatched, unmodded MK-012 pair. I know that's not really a fair comparison given the price difference, but.... :)

You might try subbing in a Panasonic electret capsule. I get the impression based on my experience with the Naiant mics that those capsules sound a lot better, though that might be more because of be the things Jon does in his circuits than because of the capsule itself. No idea.

Nah, it's pretty much down to the capsules. I mean you can screw up the sound of an electret capsule, but you have to try pretty hard to screw it up, or just not pay any attention to what you're doing.

Transound makes some decent capsules, but I don't think you'll find a reasonable cardioid capsule for $1. The Panasonic WM55A is OK at 10mm. The Transound 12mm capsule is not bad at all but kinda expensive. Their 16mm capsules are fine. Don't get either of their 14mm capsules though, I didn't like those.

All of these capsules suffer from lack of bass response and rather uninteresting high frequency response as well. That's equally true of the lower end externally polarized cardioids.

Back