Behringer C-2 – Have I bought wrong?

Reсording

Hello.
I have got 2x2 C-2 microphones. Unfortunately I don't get the proper sound level. I want microphones that I could place in the hall and record, not so close-up mics.
Unfortunately the input is very low on all 4 microphones.
EXAMPLE (see pictures): If I have 48V ON, flat limiter (–), superior mic cable and computer, and I put on the sound card half input (50%) and the distance is 50 cm, and I play STRONGEST POSSIBLE the violin - than still I don't get the correct volume (max -24dB!). It is ridicilously low. I cannot record anything more than a half meter distance without problem.

EXPERIMENT:
I compare it with a low budget microphone "TSM MT103" ( http://s3.pji.nu/product/standard/800/127660.jpg )

I use two interfaces to record, with the same result:
1. M-AUDIO M-TRACK Quad
2. M-Audio MobilePre USB

Just to note:
1. This is affecting all four C-2 microphones
2. The volume on the audio device input is put on MAX.
3. In the recording applications (Logic, ProTools) it never goes to peak clipping even if the input is on MAX in both sound card and recording application. It is virtually impossible. The Low Cut filter and Signal Level Attenuation is not turned ON on the microphones.

I have tested like this:
1. I put the pair of C-2 and record.
2. I remove one C-2 from the cable and put one TSM103 on the same cable without changing anything else.
3. MT103 takes extremely much more. C-2, even on MAX input on the sound card, has a very distant sound, if you are more than a few meters away it is so little recorded.

I intend to record a choir, instrumental classical chamber ensemble and solo. I can't understand why these mics should take so little input, particularly on distance.
If I put recording at 50% level on the sound card (what is a normal setting) it records a distant sound (-40dB).

Does STUDIO condenser microphone means that it is used only in a close micking studio environments?

Attachments

• 20160324_111139.jpg
    20160324_111139.jpg
    176.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 20160324_111230.jpg
    20160324_111230.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20160324_111159.jpg
    20160324_111159.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 11
The purpose of the input gain is to account for different microphones and different sources. If you need to turn it all the way up to get a decent level that's okay.

There's no need to let peaks approach within 6dB of clipping, and -12dB peak/-18dB average level is a pretty good target. Peaks around -24 are somewhat low, but you can manipulate levels digitally after the fact if you need to. It's normal for levels to be low during recording and mixing. They won't be at their final volume until they've been mastered.

The only real issue is if your preamps are adding excessive noise with such a low input level.

Mics likely OK. They don't have an output like an LDC (14-25 mv/Pa). The C2's are about 8.9mv/Pa output, about average for an SDC. The mic preamps on the M-Audio interfaces from what I can find are rated about 40dB maximum, so likely you need to run them at max and bring up the levels later as bouldersoundguy suggested.

Thank you both guys: very good clarifications for me, finally someone explained it to me!

I have mailed to Behringer, they tell me it is OK, but never clarified anything.

Yes, my sound card adds extra noise at the higher input, that is the problem I now face.

So you would recommend using them in closer set-up situations rather than "put away to catch all"?

Back