BEHRINGER B1030A monitors?

Maybe to start with if somebody gave them to you or you got them real cheap, But not if your going to be serious about what you do.

I've use them. They work just fine.

If you are comparatively new to the recording game, they are a reasonable acquisition. As you develop you will probably find you want to upgrade.

What Gekko said!
They aren't great, not even good BUT they are better than H/phones, old stereo speakers that've had hell blasted through them or your ipud ear plugs.
If that's the best you can stretch to at present & can't see yourself saving more in the near future go for them. You will want to upgrade sooner than later BUT they are better than monitoring with other gear that isn't intended for the task.
Four years ago almost no non audio recording specific soundcard was good enough, now you can "get away" for a while with many.
You don't have to have the best gear to start out just the best you can manage.

The Yamahas, while nice, I'm sure, are in a slightly different price bracket. ;)

I've got a set of Behringer Truth 2030As. I bought them when the (high end) computer speakers I'd been mixing on for the prior five or six years finally crapped out on me, and I needed something in a hurry at a time when I didn't have much cash.

They're, eh, they're fair. My room is/was a bigger problem for me than the speakers, but they were servicable enough and have held up for a couple years with no issues thus far. I've got a better set on loan from a friend, and they certainly are a little more detailed, but odds are if these are anything like the 2030As, they ought to be a step up from whatever it is you're monitoring on now (I'm guessing computer speakers or a consumer stereo?).

I have not used the model shown here but I would really stay away from Behringer monitors, my friend bought a pair of B2031A's while ago and he is a massive producer now, first thing he got rid of was the Behringer monitors. I remember how bad they sounded.. very harsh and metallic.. Horrid.
I would recommend to look at alternatives in the same price range there are lots to choose from I'm sure they are nearly all better than the Behringers.

On the other hand: I have another friend who is a very good producer, his production is of the best I've heard and he uses old mark one passive behringer B2031P's! I can't believe he still uses them but they sound totally different to the active ones and he says the mark two passive ones that are in production now aren't as good as the mark one's weird..

Oh and another contradiction: The Behringer 1C's passive monitors £40 are nice! lol twisted... :laughings:

Best bet is to do some research..

The Alesis Monitor MKII are probably twice as good as the Behringer B2031A's and they are still not very good! Look at the cheap KRK's.. Or these I am using them and finding them better than the Passive Alesis Monitor MKII's I had used to use.

Then how do you know? And, they're not supposed to sound good.

Because Darrin's hatred of Behringer is legendary.

Interesting to read the sound on sound review "summary
You generally get what you pay for when it comes to monitors, but these new monitors do seem to offer just a little bit more than you'd expect for the price."

These will sound fine in a home studio for someone getting their studio underway, if you can afford more money you can buy better monitors, if this is what you can afford they will do the job.

Cheers

Alan.

i owned and used behringer monitor 1c's for a couple of months there,i did a few mixes on them.....

they were pretty rubbish,nowhere near enough detail in the mid range to do a proper mix and a plasticky boxy sound in the lower ranges.

ive listened to other behringer monitors and they seem pretty hyped like a lot of hi fi speakers,at the end of the day you want your mix to sound good on all speakers not just on the behringers

my advice is save up for another few weeks and get something better.

youll thank yourself later

The 1c is a speaker for putting up in a cafe or to use as a multimedia speaker priced at $75 a pair, the B1030A ($150 a pair) is in a completely different range of product. How can you compare what a B1030A will sound like with what you heard from a 1c?

Alan.

The 1c is a speaker for putting up in a cafe or to use as a multimedia speaker priced at $75 a pair, the B1030A ($150 a pair) is in a completely different range of product. How can you compare what a B1030A will sound like with what you heard from a 1c?

Alan.

He's not.. He didn't even mention them... 1 C are great speakers they are very very cheap and will still give you a step up from HI Fi to monitors... Sure if you compare them to active speakers that cost 3 x more they are pretty bad but who said that anyway, just trying to give examples of our experiences with behringer monitors...:laughings:

He's not.. He didn't even mention them

Who is the 'he' you are referring to here?

Certainly, nytro mentioned them:
i owned and used behringer monitor 1c's for a couple of months there,i did a few mixes on them.....

they were pretty rubbish,nowhere near enough detail in the mid range to do a proper mix and a plasticky boxy sound in the lower ranges.

I thought your comments on 2031p versus 2031a were useful, but I am not keen on global condemnations, which I do not believe are very helpful:
I have not used the model shown here but I would really stay away from Behringer monitors

This sounds like "stay away from Toyota" (or whatever), and smacks of personal preference rather than informed assessment.

Ive been using b2031a's for several years, if I had different monitors I'd probably screw everything up cuz I know how the behrys translate, I'd have to learn the new monitors. I think if you get some experience with any monitors, cheap or top of the line, you'll know how to mix on em.

I'd love to try out some awesome expensive monitors but I'm not made of $$, I couldn't justify the expense. I'm happy with the mixes I've been getting, and so are the bands I've been recording lately.

He's not.. He didn't even mention them... 1 C are great speakers they are very very cheap and will still give you a step up from HI Fi to monitors... Sure if you compare them to active speakers that cost 3 x more they are pretty bad but who said that anyway, just trying to give examples of our experiences with behringer monitors...:laughings:

I was referring to Nytro's comments about the 1C (thanks for the support gecko zzed). In fact I have a pair of 1C's in my courtyard at home to listen to when a few friends are over and we are kicking back enjoying a few ales. They do sound good for the price (the reason I bought them) and as most of my friends are into music and bring mixes over so they do get a subjective listen. If I didn't already have 3 pairs of monitors in the studio already they would be a good speaker to check mixes on for the old home stereo / getto blaster mix. However I would not use the 1C's as my main monitors.

Cheers

Alan.

Who is the 'he' you are referring to here?

Certainly, nytro mentioned them:

I thought your comments on 2031p versus 2031a were useful, but I am not keen on global condemnations, which I do not believe are very helpful:

This sounds like "stay away from Toyota" (or whatever), and smacks of personal preference rather than informed assessment.

"How can you compare what a B1030A will sound like with what you heard from a 1c?"

He didn't.. That's what I said.....

Sorry bro I hate sweeping statements like that too, but its better not to risk it and get something well trusted, monitors are THE most important part of your studio and you should go with a well respected brand or at least a well reviewed model. Don't get me wrong if you look at my posts and threads I have fought valiantly for the mighty Behringer.. Maybe they will sound great but I really doubt it, Alesis monitors are ok and better than Behringer in this price range but still you can't mix on them better to have more critical monitors Alesis are very exposing but make everything sound too good. I got some horrid cheapo chinese rip of monitors which sound awsome and my mixes are coming out lovely compared to my old passive Alesis monitor mkII... Find some reviews.. Compare them with other monitors, find out for yourself its the only way.. btw why not get the cheapest KRK's?

Yeah I was referring to nytro he didn't compare them.. it doesn't matter just thought it was kinda putting words in his mouth..

btw why not get the cheapest KRK's?

KRK rokit 5's are ~ the same price as Behry b2031a's - 5" KRK, 8.75" Behry.. You're gonna be hurting in the bass dept with a 5" driver. I'd think both are comparable, reasonably flat in the mids/high, but I have a hard time beleiveing a little 5" monitor can put out the lows an 8" can.

Back