Behringer B1 for recording grand piano

Hakki

Has anybody tried these mics on grand piano?

I am planning to buy two of them to record my 6' grand ( I play classical mostly).

Thanks.

me said:
I wouldn't recommend Behringer "anything" for recording classical music.

OK, I might have to modify this statement. I have a couple of the Behringer ECM8000 reference mics, which sound nice on classical guitar. However, their self noise might be an issue when doing distance recording, like would be preferred for miking a grand piano. However, I would probably still pick them over the B1 for classical stuff.

Last edited:
Ok. What would you recommend?
(Other than MXL and Studio Project mics please, cause I am in Turkey and these are not sold here)

What is your budget?

I'm hoping that if you have a grand piano, you can afford some decent microphones, but I could be wrong. I would look into a pair of mics, like Shure SM81, Neumann KM184, AKG C414BULS. Granted, those are much more expensive than the Behringers, but you'll want a relatively accurate recording for classical work, and the behri's cannot give that to you. On the cheap, I would recommend the Studio Projects C4 pair, but you can't get those. The Avenson STO-2 might be just what you are looking for, if you can find those in your region. A matched pair of those is about $500 US and they supposedly sound great.

If you're willing to pay a bit for shipping you could always order Marshall or SP from online stores.

My budget is tight. (yes, sometimes you have a grand, but you don't have a $ grand )
Don't know why but Marshalls are not shipped outside the U.S. Haven't tried SPs though.
Can you eloborate more on why Behringers are not suitable. Is it because they are large diaphram?

Hakki said:
My budget is tight. (yes, sometimes you have a grand, but you don't have a $ grand )
Don't know why but Marshalls are not shipped outside the U.S. Haven't tried SPs though.
Can you eloborate more on why Behringers are not suitable. Is it because they are large diaphram?

It's because they are about the crappiest mics out there. Whatever crap some guy at the music store tried to feed you, just about everything made by behringer is cheap garbage that sounds bad and will break at some point in the very near future. And, yes, large diaphragm mics are typically not accurate enough for classical music. For just some hobby recording, the behri's might work just fine, I just wouldn't use them to record a classical concert pianist, or something. How about Rode? The NT-5 might do what you need, as well.

Your best bet for piano is usually a pair of small diaphram condensors. I've got a pair of the old AKG 451 EB, they're real nice on piano. The new ones will run you $500 apiece, but they'll be real versatile for you as well.

God this is ridiculous... the behringer B1 will sound as good on your piano as any sub $200 MXL or studio projects large diaphragm mic. It may break after a year if you don't take care of it... so take care of it but I don't think these people have even used it. If you have more money then there are other options... but the behringer B1s are made in the same factory as the studio projects line and I believe mxl products were made by 797 at one point as well.

Strave said:
the behringer B1 will sound as good on your piano as any sub $200 MXL or studio projects large diaphragm mic. It may break after a year if you don't take care of it... so take care of it but I don't think these people have even used it. If you have more money then there are other options... but the behringer B1s are made in the same factory as the studio projects line and I believe mxl products were made by 797 at one point as well.

It may sound as good, but not as good as a reasonable SMALL-diaphragm mic.

For your budget, I would try a pair of the Oktava MK012. Pretty darned good mics for the $.

I'll second that. Sorry for posting a larger-than-budget recommendation, but I'll reiterate that a SDC is a better choice than a LDC, even if it's still a Behringer. I've heard the ECM8000 mics that scrubs mentioned are good, and depending on your room you might want to close mic it anyways.

scrubs said:
And, yes, large diaphragm mics are typically not accurate enough for classical music.

Actually, LDCs are frequently used in classical recording and very accurate, insofar, as not coloring the source. Not Behringer's, of course :eek:

They are not as accurate as small diaphram condensors though, and they will definitely color the source more. The Behringer ECM8000 is a reference mic and is supposed to be accurate.

Last edited:
CCS said:
Actually, LDCs are frequently used in classical recording and very accurate, insofar, as not coloring the source. Not Behringer's, of course :eek:
Right. I did suggest AKG C414's for this purpose above, as those would be a good choice. I just think small diaphragm pairs would give a more accurate picture, based on my very limited knowledge of microphone design.

scrubs said:
It's because they are about the crappiest mics out there. Whatever crap some guy at the music store tried to feed you, just about everything made by behringer is cheap garbage that sounds bad and will break at some point in the very near future. And, yes, large diaphragm mics are typically not accurate enough for classical music. For just some hobby recording, the behri's might work just fine, I just wouldn't use them to record a classical concert pianist, or something. How about Rode? The NT-5 might do what you need, as well.

Read "Behind The Glass" and you'll find more than a couple real life (i.e. as real as it gets) producers speak very highly of Behringer products. I know, you are just some person on a message board and you know more then them, but for others out here with an open mind if you want some great tips on recording and cheaper products from the pros, pick up the book, it's GREAT. The TC finalizer was also highly recommended. I have a Behringer compressor that I often prefer over my RNC and Fatman.

EDAN said:
Read "Behind The Glass" and you'll find more than a couple real life (i.e. as real as it gets) producers speak very highly of Behringer products. I know, you are just some person on a message board and you know more then them, but for others out here with an open mind if you want some great tips on recording and cheaper products from the pros, pick up the book, it's GREAT. The TC finalizer was also highly recommended. I have a Behringer compressor that I often prefer over my RNC and Fatman.

Please reference the producers and which behringer microphones they prefer for the benefit of the readers here, then.

EDAN said:

Someone once told me that for any theory, no mater how hair-brained, you could find at least one Ph.D. who you could get to believe it. I'm guessing the same goes for audio gear---for example, a "pro" who sings the praises of a finalizer.... :D

If you are buying something for PA use, there's probably not a piece of Behringer gear out there that wouldn't be good enough (assuming it doesn't die or something). If you are buying for studio use, though, you have to be much more selective. Behringer probably makes some good recording gear in much the same way that Nady makes some good recording gear. If you know -exactly- what you're looking for and research each available model very carefully, you can sometimes get reasonably good gear from either company.

That doesn't mean that anybody sane should recommend Behringer's gear in general, in much the same way that one should not direct a blind man with no sense of touch or taste to pick an apple out of a barrel of rotten fruit simply because the first apple you grabbed was edible. A good manufacturer is a company like... say Mackie... where they might pick a piece of rotting fruit every so often, but it probably never made it into the barrel in the first place.

dgatwood said:
Someone once told me that for any theory, no mater how hair-brained, you could find at least one Ph.D. who you could get to believe it. I'm guessing the same goes for audio gear---for example, a "pro" who sings the praises of a finalizer.... :D

Well, of course, however there is a difference in a "pro" and a pro. If anyone thinks they are going to "master" a home recording and make it sound like a major label release, they'll soon find out otherwise. However to say the finalizer can't vastly improve the sound of your home recorded material if you take the time to learn how to use it is just plain silly. If you used one and didn't like the results, trust me, it's not the finalizer that's the problem.

Back