Behringer 2200 vs FetHead

HomeRecordist

Two entirely different devices, but available at roughly the same price locally. I need to amplify the signal from an insensitive dynamic microphone, available channel strip does not cope well and requires driving its preamp at maximum.

I am torn between FetHead (20dB+) and Behringer 2200 (at least twice as much gain). Have a spare space/plug for the latter, so these are not a problem.

What do you think?

I would say try an inexpensive +25 db Klark Teknik CM-1 for $35 and see what that does for you. I have a regular client with a really low volume voice and this worked perfectly with an SM7b.

That was another consideration, however:
  1. Almost twice as expensive where I live. Still ~50% of the Fethead or 2200.
  2. Was reported to provide significantly less gain on high-impedance microphones.
    For the reference, mine is 450 Ohm and has sensitivity of -48 dB (3.9 mV) re 1V at 1 P.

The whole point of those inline mic pre-pre amplifiers (often called "cascade" amplifiers) is that they are designed to handle very low signal voltages, micro volts, and have very low noise, lower than most AIs or channel strips. I have used the FetHead briefly and it works well. My son now uses it with an SM57 which he can now place 18" or so from his classical guitar and still get a decent S/N ratio into a Behringer UMC204HD although he has since upgraded to a MOTU M4 and a pair of SDCs.

That Behringer pre amp is not so designed and will I fear just worsen the noise levels. Also, I am not sure where the valve comes in the signal path but as a general rule they do nothing for the noise performance!

To be fair to the 204HD, it is quite capable of a decent noise performance with a 57 when used for vocals at more normal distances, couple of inches say. The M4 is even better!

Dave.

Shure, a company to rarely miss a marketing trick are seeing huge sales of SM7Bs with the explosion of podcasts and Youtube, where the damn things are essentially scenery. Audio lore dictates you MUST use a preamp, so like other mic manufacturers who now do USB fitted versions of their mics, why don't Shure do an SM7Bp that has an onboard phantom powered preamp? They've dropped the ball here.

On the videos I've been making (when I wasn't crazily busy) a few times I couldn't find the preamp, as I'm terribly disorganised, and did without, from a distance, and nobody noticed - and I can't tell which video is which.

The pre-amp Dave mentions (the 204) has the preamp design well proven I've got a M32 Midas and an X32 Behringher and while on-line, people with golden ears can hear the difference, I can't. The other behringer preamp is not remotely designed for doing a low input boost - it's designed for those who want to roast a tube with close in thinking to a high output mic and reap the result - it's the total opposite of what a low output mic preamp does. Amplify with minimal noise and distortion - the other amplifies with lots of distortion - totally different aims.

Have you missed that ^ Rob? I agree, I would like to have seen a super low noise SM7b 'active' with a typical -40dBV capacitor output but I suspect that by the time you have 'activated' the already pricey 7b it would put it out of the reach of the podders?

Those that can afford the passive mic can also afford a Grace pre amp!

Dave.

Back