behind the pc times..so what now

turtlishous

seconds please!
i've been goin back and forth on this in my head now, as what to do to get my daw up and running.

i have a pIII and would love to know if or what if any, software i would be able to use for multitracking and mixing.

these are the specs for my tomb stone

p3
930MHz
128RAM
and a woppin 10gb HD

i know i would have to get more room on the drive, and get more ram.

so it seems to me buying a better pc would be cheaper, right?

is there any other solution?

I would at least get more RAM and a bigger hard drive.

I've recorded on a 1GHz AMD computer which I don't think is a whole last faster than what you have.

Repear is a good program for recording and it doesn't take up much resources on its own.

But if you want to be running VSTi's, multiple plugins, recording more than a few tracks at once, you'll probably need to upgrade your computer.

It depends on what you want to do.

yeah....i 'm gettin that about the ram and drive, but i have no idea what vsti's are?

this is gonna be a leap for me to figure all this DAW lingo out:)

definately look at replacing the whole comp. i can build a 3GHz+ machine with 300 GB drive, 1GB ram, etc for about $300-$400 with some shopping around for parts. Investing half or more of that upgrading the P3 will jsut cost you more money down the road when you need to do it again soon.

Daav

turtlishous said:
yeah....i 'm gettin that about the ram and drive, but i have no idea what vsti's are?

this is gonna be a leap for me to figure all this DAW lingo out:)

VST's are bacsically software that emulated hardware, effects systems (e.g. a reverb plug in, or compressor) and instreuments (eg, a midi controlled software drum machine or sythesizer). The VST is a techical acronym for the standrad of programming such things. THink of it like this- most liekly any pulg in effects or instruments that you might want to use on the PC will be VST\, each one runs kind of like a seperate program within the recording software and the more track they use the more resources they use. If you have VST plug in reverb on 8 tracks, and dynamics processors on 6, EQ on other etc, it will start to bog down your machine.

The solution is good fast processor and lots of RAM. Also configuring a achine for audio can make a big impact on performance:
http://www.musicxp.net/

Daav

Cakewalk Pro Audio 9.3 will work quite well with what you have. Not brilliantly & some processing will be slowish but I recorded into just what you have for a year until I found some matching RAM to upgrade. The P3 is fine & more RAM will make life easier but I did as many as 10 audio tracks in a song with 128 P3.
I now have P3 with 256Meg & it's sweet as. Go o my sound click link & play a song from the bottom of the list for a 128 meg recording & from the top for a 256 recording. The prog & RAM also cope well with automated faders etc.
The more recent use some VSTs through a wrapper & that eats RAM.
I also have a small harddrive but have bought a cheap 20gig external portable drive to store projects & bundles tat I've done with or won't be accessing for a few weeks.
Remember you don't have to record 24 tracks with VSTs & everything else for every aong, there are some very multitracked songs on that list & some very simple ones too.
PM me re Pro Audio 9.3 or go to the Cakewalk forum for upgrade info & VST wrappers etc.

Back