Beginner in home recording

SuperJunior

Hello! This is my first post. I want to get into home recording using my PC but I dont know where to start. I've looked a bit into it and it seems (correct me if I'm wrong) you need a soundcard and a sequencer + whatever you plug the guitar into (amp, POD etc). Can anyone suggest some good budget soundcards and sequncers for me? My budget is £400 but my guitar teacher (who uses Pro Tools TDM) says I should buy a POD because that's one of the best and cheap ways to get a good sound recorded.
Sorry for ranting!
Thanks
Joe

Edit: I realised it would probably help to know my PC's spec and if there is anything there that needs to be upgraded. Here it is!
Dell w/ Windows XP
60Gb Hard Drive
1.8 Ghz Pentium 4 Processer
256mbs of RAM

First things first.

How many instruments do you want to record at once? This tells you how many inputs you need.

Some of things you record may require line inputs (keyboards), some things require microphone (pre-amp) inputs.

Do you plan on working with MIDI instruments? If you do you'll need MIDI input/output on your soundcard and MIDI functionality in your sequencing software.

You don't necessarily need a soundcard, there are USB devices on the market today that do a great job. In any event, look into M-Audio, Aardvark, Edirol, MOTU, etc to see what's available.

As far as software, you can go cheap (NTrack), not so cheap (SONAR, et. al.), or expensive. NTrack is a good solution to get you started on the rudiments of home recording. Check out their web site.

Your computer - it would help if you had an additional drive to store your audio files on. It really helps distribute the workload. Also, buy as much RAM as your computer will hold. It's cheap and makes a big difference in how fast things run.

Finally, start using the search feature on this site. There is a wealth of information here, yours for the taking, all you have to do is dig.

Good luck.

Right:
1. I'll only ever want to record one instrument at a time for the timebeing.
2. I think I might need a microphone input to mic' an acoustic guitar.
3. Er.... what are midi instruments? Sorry! Im new to this.

Also, how much is extra ram likely to cost me? say, enough to take me up to 512mbs?

Thanks again.
Joe

SuperJunior said:
3. Er.... what are midi instruments? Sorry! Im new to this.

Also, how much is extra ram likely to cost me? say, enough to take me up to 512mbs?

Thanks again.
Joe

Midi instruments are anything which produces midi data.

A synth keyboard for instance will produce a digital message for each key that is pressed. The message contains information about 1) which key was pressed, 2) how hard it was pressed 3) when it was pressed, and 4) how long it was help down. The message is called MIDI data. If the MIDI data is sent to your computer it can be stored to a MIDI track and played back later; you could also edit the MIDI track to correct bad notes or timing in your performance. The MIDI data could also be sent to a sound module in order to trigger whatever instrument you want - horns, piano, strings, etc.

I haven't priced RAM lately, you'd have to call your local computer store to find out.

Thanks for explaining that :>
My guitar teacher recommended I start with Pro Tools cheapest kit, the M-Box. Do you know aynthing about this?

Thanks!
Joe

M-Box: You can record two tracks at once. Its PT LE, which will give you up to 32 tracks. The PT files are compatible w/ TDM PT rigs.

(After much research, I have determined that LE = Less Expensive and TDM = Too Damn Much. sorry)

Anyway, it connects to your 'puter via USB, very simple. Down the road you can upgrade to a 002 system ($1200).
ProTools is the world-wide standard in DAW software, but it can get VERY expensive. TDM systems start North of $10,000.

I do not believe it does MIDI. Not something PT does well anyway.

Check to make certain it is PC compatible.... I think it was just for MAC when it came out.

Just today I got a flyer in the mail from guit. center for $50 rebate on the M-Box, making it $399.00.

I'm gonna get one to set up a "B" studio that will be compatible w/my other PT rig.

Here is their website: http://www.digidesign.com/

Take your time deciding! and good luck

Thanks guido, that was very informative!
I think I'm gonna go for it, then save for a POD and some upgrades for my PC. I also like the idea of upgrading to the 002 later, when I have money coming in.

Thanks everyone!
Joe

Back