Beginner Guitar Theory Query

guitarmonkus

Ok, I just have a question about the Pentatonic Scale. I am just starting to get into theory, so don't judge.

I've included the scale patterns as a pic, but I am still wondering how to apply them. What chords can I play these scales over, and what note do I start with?

Attachments

• Pentatonic Patterns.jpg
    Pentatonic Patterns.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Ok, I just have a question about the Pentatonic Scale. I am just starting to get into theory, so don't judge.

I've included the scale patterns as a pic, but I am still wondering how to apply them. What chords can I play these scales over, and what note do I start with?

The first note of the first scale defines the key of the scale. So, if you start that first scale on G you are playing a G pentatonic. You can play that scale over any chord, but it will sound better over some (like G,E and C because they share so many notes in the chord).

While there appear to be 5 scales in the picture, in reality that is a single pentatonic scale as it travels down the fret board. And they all overlap (you may already know this if you are getting into theory, but I am telling you again anyway :p)

So for example - The top row of frets in the second scale are the same frets in the bottom row of the first scale. So, if you started playing the second scale and started on G you would not be playing a G pentatonic, you would be playing an E pentatonic (map the first pentatonic over it and see where the first note lands).

But if you started the second scale on A# then you are still playing a G pentatonic because you are just starting in a lower position. Those 5 scales fit into 12 frets which cover an octave then start over again.

Hope that helps.

Back