beginner / building home studio help !

darren2k

I have played guitar and piano for many years and i have always wanted to have a small home studio mostly for fun and creative times , I have played about with FL studio demo on my laptop and did like it , anyway if anyone could help me with what i should get or add any advise it would be a great help . Nothing is set yet but i have a list of what i might be getting -
" keys M-Audio Axiom 61 2nd gen,
Steinberg UR22 interface ,
M-Audio BX5 D2 Active Nearfield Monitors,

draw software still not sure which one ?" I already have a Laptop not sure if its up to the job or will i need to get a new one ? - dell studio specs 1555 - intel core 2 duo cpu P7350 . 2.00ghz,2000 MHz.) Ram 8 GB . When using the demo of fl it seems to be working ok but i am only using the laptop speaks with know midi inputs.

Computer spec is pretty low. Most sequencers now need lots of memory and fast processors as most of the audio generation is now software synths and nice reverbs - both are very computer hungry. Many audio interfaces come with a cut down version of Cubase which is great to start with and Halion SE has plenty of good sounds. I'd be happy with 8GB, but would want a faster processor. My only reservation with laptops is expandability - enough USB sockets being a pet hate! My music computer has 7 USB sockets with thing plugged in, and that's not unusual. I'd be looking for things like this - of course you can add 4 way or more USB hubs, but although combining keyboard and mouse is a not a problem because the low level of data - adding hard drives and audio interfaces can be less of a good move!

Your plan sounds OK. Like Rob, your laptop may be a bit on the light side, but you can get it to work. If you aren't comfortable doing things like disabling Windows services or turning your wireless card on and off you should consider getting a desktop instead.

You didn't mention microphones. You can get a pair of Behringer C2s for cheap that are great general purpose condensers. Don't forget mic cables (XLR) and mic stands. You may find a good set of headphones helpful as well.

For a DAW I would suggest starting with Cakewalk's Music Creator 6 (Touch) or Sonar X3. These both have a lot of bang for the buck and a viable upgrade path to heavier duty versions if you decide you need more. MC6 is less than $50US and does everything that you will need. They will run well on your laptop assuming windows 7 or 8. Plug the monitors into the UR22 and forget that your computer has a built in sound card.

^^^ Those are good suggestions. Reaper is another daw good for minimal hardware because the code has been optimized from the ground up. If your guitar amp has an aux output you can run that into your interface, or mic it of course. Be sure to get enough inputs if you're going to record more than one thing at a time.

I'm sure the other stuff is mainly dependent on your budget, as it is for many of us. Lots of homework pays off in spades. Good luck!

Back