beginner audio interfaces with firewire or usb2? / also mbox question

Veej007

are any entry-level interfaces available with firewire or usb2? all the ones i've seen are crazy-ass $800+ units. i want something simple, like all the beginner usb devices, but with a firewire or high bandwidth usb2 connection so that i don't have the latency problems. does anything like this exist?

also, why is the mbox so highly thought of? spec-for-spec, it's not much more robust than any of the edirol or m-audio or tascam devices, and it even connects through a lowly usb1 port, which is said to cause problems with latency, clicks and pops, and so on. so what justifies the $400 price tag?

Well, I've never tried it, but the M-Audio Firewire 410 would fit the bill if you've got a budget of $400. Otherwise, I would highly suggest the MOTU 828MkII for a little over $700.

BTW, latency is still an issue with Firewire or USB. Latency is the time it takes for the audio to travel in and out of your computer...PCI, Firewire, and USB are all the same in this regard. Some units (Like the 828 MkII) allow you to do latency free monitoring through the hardware itself though.

isn't it more of a problem with usb than with pci or firewire, though?

the beginner stuff i was looking at DOES allow for direct monitoring... so is that one reason to consider a usb device over a pci one?!?

Back