Becoming a professional recording engineer

dhagen

Hi, I'm not sure if this question is in the right forum, so if you think it should go somewhere else just let me know, thanks.

I just graduated from high school and soon will be a freshman in college. I do a bit of recording at home of my own music and I'm thinking that I would like to one day become a professional recording engineer. As a career. My vision is to start up a little studio (small, nothing fancy) and maybe even a little record label for singer/songwriter type stuff. Again, nothing big and fancy. No big-time-LA stuff.

So my question is this: during college, keeping in my mind that the ultimate goal is to become a recording engineer, would it be a smart choice to study electrical engineering? Would a degree in electrical engineering help me to be a better recording engineer? I realize that it would not be an easy major, but I have always done well in math (I already have two years of calculus under my belt) and I actually really enjoy it. So the difficulty of it isn't really an issue. I'm just wondering if all the work I would have to put into it would be worth it later on as a recording engineer.

Any advice, thoughts, or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

i'd recommend that for a few reasons.

It's a very useful thing to be skilled in if you plan to maintain your own gear, especially if you have older equipment.

That asides, electrical engineering could be very useful even if audio doesn't work out for you.

There is a much greater chance of becoming employed as an electrical engineer than there is as an audio engineer.

Personally, i know very very little about electronics, but i'm a take-apart-and-fixer by nature.
That means i constantly find myself being outta my depth and having to come on forums to get help to understand things that are probably very simple to people who studied it a little.

I just completed a degree in audio production, and if i could swap it for one in electrical engineering, i'd do it in a flash.

Hope that's useful.

I agree with Steenamaroo. I'm currently doing a course in sound production and it really does help to know a thing or two about the electrical side of things.
If you really wanted to, you could study both courses, or do electrical engineering and then try your luck and getting into audio engineering in whatever way you choose. It's always good to have a small set up at home anyway. :)

Get your electrical engineering degree so when you realize you don't want to be poor anymore trying to eek out a living in a dying field, you can get a real job.

Study banking and become a bankster.

Then you can hire a recording engineer to do your vanity album.

IF you get a degree in electronics and study how to fix things quickly, you can often get to be a call out maintenance guy for several studios, TV stations and Radio stations. Then with the contacts you make you can then progress into working as an engineer in the studios. The best thing is you become a recording engineer without having to buy any of your own gear.

Alan.

Back