Beautiful....except

I need it to look and function exactly like Adobe Audition. Are there skins?

Ok, it can function better...but I still need to know where stuff's located. I'm old and resistant to change.

I for one am pissed that he changed the logo!:mad:
That, and I have a strange problem rendering vsti's on my core 2 duo machine.
Other than those things, it's perfect!

I'm a Sonar man. But I have been playing around with Reaper, and I'm impressed. It loads fast (Sonar doesn't). Justin corrects bugs almost daily (Sonar maybe two times a year). And the fact that you can use other computers to run effects. (I didn't even know about this). And many other features. Routing, ETC. It has the potential over time, to kick the other apps asses. And it's only $40. That's one hell of a value.

The only problem I have with reaper is that theres dosn't seem to be an easy way to apply effects permanently. Or distructive editing as it's commonly called. Can anyone solve this? The only way I can think of is by opening the file in an external editor (Sony soundforge) then doing it that way, but then you have to program the effect all over again. Sorry it's late and I'm tired! :D

The only problem I have with reaper is that theres dosn't seem to be an easy way to apply effects permanently. Or distructive editing as it's commonly called. Can anyone solve this? The only way I can think of is by opening the file in an external editor (Sony soundforge) then doing it that way, but then you have to program the effect all over again. Sorry it's late and I'm tired! :D

Doesn't stem rendering sort of do that?.

4.12 Stem Rendering
Stem Rendering is a technique that can be applied to ease your CPU load if it becomes (or is in danger of
becoming) overloaded. The item is rendered to a new track, whilst the original track remains but is automatically
muted and the FX bin is bypassed.
This offers you the convenience that if you later wish to change the FX in a stem rendered track, you can delete
the rendered track, unmute the original, and unbypass its effects. This is how it works:
1. In the Track Control Pane area, right-click over the track number.
2. From the menu, choose Render selected tracks to stem tracks (and mute/bypass originals)
Stem rendering has a similar effect to a process known in some other DAW software as freezing tracks.
Note that the track that is produced by Stem Rendering will normally by default be a stereo track. If you prefer a
mono track:
1. Right click over the rendered media item.
2. From the menu, choose Item Settings, Item Channel Mode: Mono (Downmix).
With Stem Rendering, all track settings (such as Volume and Pan) are written to the rendered track. If you only
wish to freeze the track FX without doing this, you should consider using Apply FX to Item as New Take
instead. This is covered later in this section.

The ability to slave networked computers rules. Not that I've needed it yet, but I just love it in principle :)

Right click and chose "apply fx to selected item(s)"

This was a biggie for me, it wasa kludge to do it in vegas so Justin came up with a handy way to apply the same destructive process across multiple items

However, happily its still not technically destructive as it creates a new take first :) If you dont like it, you just hit SHift-T to get back to the unaffected take.

Hey thanks for that guys! It's now even better! But just another question... not to be annoying, but what do yall mean when you say you can slave a networked computer?

Hey thanks for that guys! It's now even better! But just another question... not to be annoying, but what do yall mean when you say you can slave a networked computer?

You can run a track through an effect, or synth that's located on another computer. Having the other computer take the CPU hit.

The gist of it is to install reaper on all the PC's on your network, then when you are adding fx, you can chose to run them in a ReaMote slave.

There's some good details at the cockos forum, but really, click around, once you set it once, youll have it figured, its pretty easy

It's an unfortunate plague on these boards. I have been here far longer, answered hundreds of questions and still get neg repped by people trying to make their e-penises feel bigger. So try not to feel discouraged from asking questions.

Pipe explained it already, but the gist of it is that a "slave" is typically an extension of a master device in computing, this occurs in many fields, but most especially 3d rendering, which is not inherently realtime. This is important to audio and any potentially realtime application, because networks always have a certain amount of latency. So while it's not typically an ideal way to add processing power to audio workstations, from what I understand Reamote works just fine. I haven't really delved into it but it probably does a significant amount of prebuffering.

This was a biggie for me, it wasa kludge to do it in vegas so Justin came up with a handy way to apply the same destructive process across multiple items

However, happily its still not technically destructive as it creates a new take first :) If you dont like it, you just hit SHift-T to get back to the unaffected take.

That's one of the best features of REAP -- constantly using this one. It was such a pain in the ass with 'base

If you wanted to freeze the edits then do FX would you Glue first then Apply FX? Is that the best way of doing it?

you could glue first then apply fx... the important point is that apply fx can work on multiple selected items, not just the one you click on...this removes the destructive/non destructive, and exclusive window barrier we used to run into.

If you glue, save to a new project first, since you are replacing all lower takes with that glue

Back