Beats from the NEW GUY

You beats are cool, you need to work with your beats a bit more... make them flow a little more... i actually started my production with hiphop, you should try and do more melodic music then go back to hiphop and you will notice how bigger your productions get.

Also, try to sample less, just because its hiphop... doesnt mean it HAS to be sampled, best hiphop producer's are the ones with musicality not just clever samples!

let me know if you do anything more,

TMinds

Speaking from a musical perspective I think your stuff is too simple. Not that there isn't good stuff there, but I think technominds hit the nail on the head when he said you need to spend more time with them.

Most of what I heard sounded very "naked" for lack of a better word. There were times in some songs where, in between samples, the only thing you'd hear was hi hat. I think if you spend more time on each beat per se you'll find your music more interesting and original.

Exactly, but that doesnt mean you have to fill your tracks with things, spending more time means you can place in more sounds in spaces where they suit... you can have 20 sounds blend to become one or you can have 1 sound that works as good as 20. Hiphop has had some simplistic genius in its time, and also huge melodic tracks that sound just as good.

My only advice to you is do not depend on samples or other peoples material, become a musician and learn from other styles around you. If you put this influence in other tracks you will have origional stuff that people will respect and enjoy listening to.

Uh-oh. Look out. I've never seen Dogman get pissed off before.

Dogman, was it just the sarcastic impatience of the guy's second post? Or was it the "the NEW GUY" thing in the title? :D

the Tim

Timothy Lawler said:
Uh-oh. Look out. I've never seen Dogman get pissed off before.

Dogman, was it just the sarcastic impatience of the guy's second post? Or was it the "the NEW GUY" thing in the title? :D

the Tim
17 posts, and not one review from him in this clinic....and he is upset no one reviewed his beats. Guess I did over react, so I will listen.......but he should listen to other music, and review as well....hint hint...

Decent stuff here. Not my main genre, so i will say you did a good job with them. The subtleties you put into some of them are very cool. They have a very cool vibe. Hidden Pathways/ Electric Company is probably my fave out of all of these. Just kind of ticked along, and had one of those beats that could go anywhere at anytime....

Not sure which tune you wanted to get feedback on so I listened to "the Seventh Loop" which was at the top of the list at Soundclick...
Firstly - you should post a warning for this song for "mature language" ;) just so that those who plan to listen can scoot their small kids out before it starts...a little thing to some but quite important to those with small children.....
The bottom end is thumpin' pretty good in this song. :D I think it could use some counterpoint in bass guitar. The lyrics are cool and well written. The song seems to be in its beginning stages as it is short and only had one verse. But it is a good start. I think you are on the right track.
Oh and maybe review some of the other people's tunes here....it's a give and take situation....

Last edited:
Look out.... venting.

Hey, I don't think you overreacted Dogman. I find it irritating myself when someone posts a tune without also posting responses to others' tunes. This is a co-op, not a group of "listeners" talking about music by a separate elite group of people who only post to their own threads.

My approach is if someone doesn't post replies to threads of others, beyond a first listen and comment I'm unlikely to reply to their music in the future.

Since we're on the subject, I also think it's irritating when listeners make specific comments about a tune, and then the OP instead of responding in detail comes back with, "thanks guys! Yeah, I think my stuff sounds great too. Thanks for listening." :D

Tim
The Whiner

Timothy Lawler said:
Hey, I don't think you overreacted Dogman. I find it irritating myself when someone posts a tune without also posting responses to others' tunes. This is a co-op, not a group of "listeners" talking about music by a separate elite group of people who only post to their own threads.

My approach is if someone doesn't post replies to threads of others, beyond a first listen and comment I'm unlikely to reply to their music in the future.

Since we're on the subject, I also think it's irritating when listeners make specific comments about a tune, and then the OP instead of responding in detail comes back with, "thanks guys! Yeah, I think my stuff sounds great too. Thanks for listening." :D

Tim
The Whiner
You aint a whiner Tim....you are correct. I was somewhat in the wrong, as I have read this thread about 10 times today, along with many others, just like it. 3 posts, and they want music reviewed, and complain no one listens to it, yet they don't make an effort to listen to anyone elses stuff. I kind of went off at this one, but he's not the only one. These push many other threads from people who want real critiques, off the pages. People who listen, as much as they ask us to listen. I did dredge a few of those up though. And I did listen, and critique here. But thanks for re-iterating my point....this is a really cool place, and it works because there are so many people with many ideas willing to help. You being one of the many. Hopefully danico4not will become one of the helpful ones now. :D

I think you are both whiners, now do me a favor and give some feed back for my songs. ;)

Oh, I thought the beats were lacking as well, they need some more umphh.
(I'm not really sure what umphh is cause my songs are also lacking this.)

Insightnsound said:
I think you are both whiners, now do me a favor and give some feed back for my songs. ;)

Oh, I thought the beats were lacking as well, they need some more umphh.
(I'm not really sure what umphh is cause my songs are also lacking this.)
No dude, your stuff isn't lacking. No better fool is a pretty decent song. Lots of punch where it needs to be.
Now, start your whining....er I mean....Damn.... :D

Insightnsound said:
I would give more feed back to songs but at this point I'm just not sharp enough to lend any credible advice.
I don't think this matters. Listen and tell someone what you like. If something jumps out as bad, or bothers you, just say it. You can be wrong. Won't hurt. Plus, you might be right, and help someone. :D

well everyone thanks for the input on my beats. its so funny how a string of words can guide a tangent...
anyways, there's no requirement on this board about reviewing other peoples work. so I don't expect it, but of course with some topics getting thousands of replies, one or two would be nice.

no, i don't review other people's music here much, at least not in the mixing clinic. I've been on this board awhile under different names, just trying to understand the music and the science.
I will try to take more time with my songs, I'm glad someone pointed something out I can use.

I also understand this board is littered with little girls who catch feelings when someone doesn't sew up their every phrase. Trying to find a reason to be mad at someone when all he asked was a question. I'm not directing this at everyone, just those folks who have nothing to do but make posts instead of music.

Like I said, thanks. I'll spend more time with my tracks to try to get the best out of them. thanks for the positive feedback.

danico4not, dude, I apologize for coming across like an ass. I was having a bad day, and vented here. Sorry, dude. Also hijacked your thread. Again, sorry.
I meant what I said about good subtleties in the beats, and it sounds like you worked pretty hard on them. I should have left it at that. No excuses, as I don't normally do this kind of stuff.
Again, sorry dude.
Ed

Back