Beatles cover - I will

yiordanaki

Greetings friends,

IF you're interested, here's an awesome beatles tune (which one isnt?) i recorded yesterday. This is really the first time ive recorded on my computer by myself, so its very ROUGH.

equipment
- sm57
- dodgy nylon string acoustic
- bass
- those CD-r plastic cases (percussion :D )
- small behringer mixer

Don't take this too seriously, cos it's just a muckaround/ learning experience, but any comments would be appreciated on the "performance" or the "mixing".

thanks.

I will - The beatles/me

yiordanaki

Very nice job! I like the "vocalized" bass line...just like the original. Also like the guitar licks between verses and at the end. Thanks for posting this one...

BobOC

Nice job. I liked it.

Vocals were good, particularly the harmonies.

The only negative I found was I thought the "lead guitar" was mixed in too loud. You need to back off a bit on that. It's played well, just out of proportion to the mix.

Very nice! Sounds pretty good, as was said the lead guitar sitting a little too upfront in the mix. Nice voice, pretty good mixing job.

and nice percussion =P

Yea - i enjoyed hearing this as well. Well done for your 'lo-fi' equipment!!

Damn that Paul McCartney - curses. He could write such brilliant songs, couldn't he? And it seems so easy......

I really like the low-tech approach to percussion, something different. Well executed as well.
Vocal very good, not too happy with the acoustic sound, maybe some EQing would help.
Fun listen all around.

Sounds great for what you used. This is a great example of how the performance is much more important than the gear used. If the performance is good the mixing seems to do itself, which sounds very nice on this recording. I especially liked the vocal part with the harmonies at the end. Keep up the good work!
-Mike

thanks alot all of you for your comments.!

The only negative I found was I thought the "lead guitar" was mixed in too loud

I wholeheartedly agree, i was trying to get it to sort of take up the spectrum of sound that the vocals were taking up so that it would sort of blend nicely but when i listened to the real song again i realized it was way too loud.

and then i went and listened to it on some real monitors - but it was too late to change.

Vocals were good, particularly the harmonies

Thanks, I coughed up about a litre of phlegm :( that morning as i was just getting over a cold but i was relatively happy with it.

Damn that Paul McCartney - curses. He could write such brilliant songs, couldn't he? And it seems so easy......

hes an absolute legend

Mike, you're TOO KIND!

thanks again

yiordanaki

Back