Beans on Toast

MattNZ

Ok guys (and gals - though I suspect it's mostly blokes on here)

This is my first attempt at home recording ever!

Equipment used:

An Edirol UA-25 interface
Rode NT1a
A pile of instruments
Drums from Drums on Demand
Mixed on dodgy $25 headphones, 'cos I don't have any monitors.

My own views are that I need to re-record most of the parts, but I wanted to get the ideas down first.

I'd be interested to know what you like/dislike.

http://www.soundclick.com/MattHNZ

Ta

Matt

Last edited:
this sounds fantastic! Great job. What were you thinking of re-tracking?

the only thing I'd say is that the bass drum is a bit too strong and boomy for me. But other than that, I found the song and the mix to be good.

Was this seriously the first song you've tried recording?

Yeah it is (although I've spent years playing in other musicians' studios, so studio concepts are not entirely new to me).

I'd like to retrack the vox and guitars - they're just a bit loose.

I'm looking to mix it properly when I get some monitors. I'll have a listen back to the bass drum - I reckon you're right. I've not really EQ'd anything at the moment.

Cheers for the feedback!

Last edited:
Was this seriously the first song you've tried recording?

Wow...no kidding. Not my thing stylistically, but quite a mix and performance regardless of how long you've been at it. In one recording you've managed to far exceed anything I've been able to come up with sonically after probably hundreds of multi-tracking efforts...damn :p.

I'm sure there are some things other people might be able offer as suggestions, but I'm afraid I don't have any.

I couldn't pick out any nits. Very pleasant recording. Your accent is perfect for the tune..very...English. Performance is very good too. I'd be happy with this, great job!

This is your first attempt?! This is the very first thing you have ever attempted to record yourself? I must say, quite impressive.Nice work.

Is your soundclick account private or something? The link bring me to the login page, so I can't listen to the song.

Is your soundclick account private or something? The link bring me to the login page, so I can't listen to the song.
It does that to me to. I think soundclick is having some issues with their software right now. Seems to be all kinds of problems with them.

That's a link to your personal band management page.

Copy the link to the actual song from that page and we should be able to get to it.

Or just give us the name of your band and the song and we can search for it.

Yep this recording and mix are top notch--but you know what's even better? The song. Very refreshing! Thanks for posting. Looking forward to more.

New mix

Hey guys. Thanks for all the positive feedback. My own thoughts were that there seemed to be a lot going on left and right, but little in the middle, so I pulled the acoustics and BVs in a bit and EQ'd them a bit to separate them.

The vocals were a bit dead, so I've pulled them up a bit and applied a notch filter to boost 20KHz and they seem to be popping out a bit more.

Also, the snare was nowhere near loud enough, so I've double tracked it to separate it from the rest of the drum loop. This seems to give it a rather unnatural chorus sound, but at least you can feel the beat a little more.

Updated MP3 at Soundclick if it takes your fancy:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6810813

The original's here:

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6808401

Cheers

Last edited:
Back