Beach Boys Tribute Band - Barbara Ann

rob aylestone

Looking for something, I found the old pre-covid disk drive that had the long lost video and audio files from a theatre show we did. The only snag being the spreadsheet that listed what was what is long gone, so I have thousands of short song-length video and audio clips - from the original edit and I've been painstakingly listening or watching each one and trying to get them back together again. I've managed this one so far. The drummer is pleased as he rarely gets a look in as people always stand in front of him. As we 'retired' when the keys player, the bandleader passed away, it's nice to get this stuff finished and out their for posterity!

Looking for something, I found the old pre-covid disk drive that had the long lost video and audio files from a theatre show we did. The only snag being the spreadsheet that listed what was what is long gone, so I have thousands of short song-length video and audio clips - from the original edit and I've been painstakingly listening or watching each one and trying to get them back together again. I've managed this one so far. The drummer is pleased as he rarely gets a look in as people always stand in front of him. As we 'retired' when the keys player, the bandleader passed away, it's nice to get this stuff finished and out their for posterity!

Not bad - pretty clean - vocals are really good.

Drummer and keys player did high bits, the guitarist low and I was always the middle one. Oddly, audiences were convinced he was my son!

Passport is Paul - but the English performers union, Equity years ago made me choose a new name - they have a rule that two people cannot have the same name. Some get around it by adding a middle initial, but I was adopted and I had the court records unsealed and discovered my dad was an American airman, and was named Robert - my adoptive parents changed it - so I even have two birth certificates, the original one and a replacement - so officially I have a genuine choice, but now I'm ancient it just confuses. I used it all the time when I joined this forum so it just stuck. As my mates say, two names, two faces!

Actually - when you break them down, they're not actually difficult to do in terms of the notes. The clever bit is that to do the original harmonies live, you have to be crafty. On the records you find that sometimes there would be two parts sung by the same person - usually where they crossover, so when they did it live with limited band member quantity, they had to cheat - so if somebody was doing a line that had to suddenly belt out lower for the intro of the chorus with no gap to breath, the singer might miss out the last word or two, and those notes would be sung be whoever was not singing at that point - then the other would take over again. With us as a four piece we just had to do more of these crossovers. The other thing was the real Beach Boys never sung some of their recordings live. Ian - our leader and his brother were in a band back in the 70s who in the UK had hots with those medley records - played to a constant drum beat. Stars on 45 and seasons of Gold - that kind of thing, and how brother moved to California to join the real Beach boys, and our band - long before I joined, had created ends for the fade out songs, and the real Beach Boys pinched one of my band's endings which was pretty cool. When I joined, I had a recording of the bass player I replaced - his bass and his voice in one ear and the rest on the other ear and I just learned my role by just copying the track. It sounded really strange until you added in the others. The other thing was I found I had to ignore the drummer and the guitarists part because they put me off. We'd often rehearse and Ian would say - hang on somebody is on my note and we'd have to back up and discover the guitarist had the order of notes round the wrong way. One of my weird lines was Good Good Good Good Vi I never sung brations' - that was sung by somebody else which freed me up to sing do do do do do, doody doo - which starts before 'brations' finishes. That's the tricky bit. I think the hardest was playing different rhythms on the bass to what you sing. In a lot of songs it meant your fingers needed to be automatic - you can't sing harmonies and play bass if you try to think of both. We did loads of fun things - including being, I think, the only band to have played live on BBC Radio 2 Jeremy Vine's radio show.

While figuring out the various parts might not be as difficult as it seems, getting 4 guys who can sing the parts certainly is. Years ago, our drummer and I would do some harmony vocals, and there were times where suddenly we were both singing the same part. Oops!

Agreed that playing different rhythms while singing is tough. I managed to sing a lot of songs while playing guitar, but there are certain ones where the two patterns are so different that if you even THINK about one or the other, it will screw you up. It's worse now, I keep forgetting the lyrics, which just kills everything!

I would do a lot of the backup vocals while playing bass. You're right about going into autopilot, when you're in it a weird sort of awareness comes over you as you can't believe you're doing it but it works.

Cheers guys. The worst thing for us was that monitor mixes were so critical to being able to sing in tune. Festivals we hated, with a wedge you could sort of hear the thing you needed in somebody else's monitor, but once the monitor guy clearly got the bass and guitar mixed up so I had no bass, and the guitarist had my bass, but he had an amp, and mine was off, as I was DI'd - this was a great move usually - the front of house guy had complete control over my sound - I could play with just the local wedge. I remember one song I played in Eb perfectly - but it should have been in E - my fingers were spot on, wrong!

When we went to IEMs we loved them but giving some monitor guy a fader direct to your ears was scary. We had personal mixers - bliss. What we did was put a Behringher X32 rack with the same file as the M32 front of house and we made some cables up so at a festival, we could pre-rig stuff and as soon as we got on stage, the floor board for the guitar, my bass and keys were DI'd - and we split all four vocal mics - one to our X32 and the other to the festival system. We split kick snare and overhead. 11 channels straight into our system with our monitor system. The drummer did the drums, each of us did our vocal mic and instrument - two minutes and our personal mixers were exactly the same. A bit of level tweaking for the different drum distances, and that was it. As for the Beach Boys show - we discovered with IEMs that we all needed a pitch to sing to - we all used the keys, high in our mixes, but I needed to pitch my voice to another - and I chose the keys player. In Beach Boys there never was a lead and BVs for a show - often not even for a song. So lead would be the drummer for a verse, then maybe the keys player for the chorus, but then me for a section lining the two. The guitarist often had the bizarre high low stuff but we all learned to tune to one person. One show we got the personal mixers mixed up and first song I heard a totally different song - what the drummer was tuning to was the guitar - because it started the song - I only started to play and sing after this, so my tuning was keys. I don't think we knew what the others were even singing. editing the video, I discovered at a few points we were singing different words. I went back to the orginal songs and it was right - same tune, different words. We also only learned our parts - so I would sing what the guy I replaced sung. In the songs about cars, while the melody is being sung, the others would be singing about move on up, keep it up, all kinds of random things.

Sometimes you hear people saying that bands should be able to play without monitors - I always smile. Like string instruments, you cannot join in, in tune without clues. Beach Boys vocals were chords really - at least a 3 note chord with melody. If the original song needed 5 notes, we had to work out a way to reduce that to 4.

Just before covid we had invested in a click track system because we needed a way to replace Ian's keys with a recording. We often had a MacBook connected to the mixer so we had lots of shows recorded, so we used these on the track. We had always banged on about live music, but it became clear Ian was fast losing control of his hands and was hitting more and more wrong notes. So we picked a 2 x 60 min show - which was all the songs, and we took his keys part and used that as a basis for the tracks. The click was built around what we already had. His M1 was ancient and to be honest horrible sounding, but he had up/down floor switches so would flick between zones and sounds in each song - piano would turn into organ or strings or kalimbas or other odd sounds, and he couldn't do this on more modern keys, so kept the M1. When I prepared the click track, a few of the recordings revealed mistakes, so I quietly fixed them and never said anything. I think we did about 6 shows with the click system, then covid hit and that was it - band down. Good days but just nostalgia now.

Man that must have been a fun gig...you guys truly did them justice. Cool!

Back