BBE Sonic Maximizers?

AFXSguy

Anybody here use BBE Sonic Maximizers? I've read a lot of good reviews on them, but I'm wondering what your experience is with them.

I was thinking of getting the 482i for my guitar setup. It would go right before my amp after all my effects. Or is this a waste of money?

Thanks

I used to use one... Not for the studio, but I had one in my touring rig. VERY easy to abuse - If you've got a setting above 2 or 3, you're probably pissing off the sound guy.

Here's the one I use on my DAW - (yes, it's sort of a joke, but it is functional)

stupidifier.jpg

Bbe

For years I used to read about the BBE Sonic Maximizer & Aphex Aural Exciter & wanted one so bad! I'd read reviews where guys told how much it improved their sound & how they couldn't get by without it...
Finally they came down in price enough that I got one, the BBE. In my opinion, for the price I don't see why everybody shouldn't have one, but if it crapped out tomorrow I don't know if I'd bother replacing it. It's a cool subtle effect for certain applications or to run your rig through at one setting & leave it there, but it's just another tool/toy...
By all means get one, play around with it, you'll no doubt find a use for it, but keep in mind it's just an enhancer, it's not going to turn a crappy sound into gold. If you don't like it hey, you're only out 70 bucks or so, you can resell it on e-bay...
jonboy

Massive Master said:
I used to use one... Not for the studio, but I had one in my touring rig. VERY easy to abuse - If you've got a setting above 2 or 3, you're probably pissing off the sound guy.

Here's the one I use on my DAW - (yes, it's sort of a joke, but it is functional)

stupidifier.jpg

what do u mean it will piss off the sound guy?

thanks guys. i am just trying to justify whether it is worth the money or not. are there any other enhancers that you would recommend over the bbe?

I have one in each of my stereos (living room and studio playback) and I love them. They correct for some obvious anomalies in my cheapo equipment, which after all is what they were designed to do. But they don't work too well for my recording. It's really easy to get a harsh sounding track using BBE. I actually had a software sonic maximizer in my old recording setup but it always gave a processed sound...hey, it was processor, right? IMO it's better for playback in a living room than for use in a studio.

really? i thought it would help in studio use. not that you have to max out the knobs, but it being present would clear things up a bit. ?

I have been recording a lot of acoustic music with vocal harmonies and my clients are very picky about how accurately their voices are represented. I have gotten into trouble using even very light compression and I am learning not to do anything that makes the vocals sound processed. By this standard the BBE doesn't cut it. I personally listen to much more rock than folk (to make a coarse distinction) and the BBE works better for that, in the sense that the "sound" of it is not as intrusive. I mean, there's no "real" sound of a Les Paul plugged into a Super Reverb, is there? It's what it sounds like on that particular day! So I am concentrating on tutoring the singers on mic technique so the dynamics don't go all over the board and in trying different mics for subtle effects. I'm sure it's good for my character but it doesn't leave much space for the BBE.

I use a BBE when I dump a cassette mix to a CD. I also use it in a guitar chain (it really helps add some clerity to distorted guitar sounds). I think it functions well in these applications

However, I originally bought it to use as part of my two channel mix down - but the more I used it and the more I learned about mixing I found it was more or a crutch and was something I tended to overuse. I choose to improve my tracking & mixing skills rather than depend on a BBE.

For the pirce it's not a bad tool for select applications, butonly after more critical parts of the chain (mics, pres, compressors, etc) have been purchased.

my main plan is to use it in my guitar chain... after my effects, before my amp. then for recording i will be micing my amp. no direct in stuff.

The BBE's High Process is at around 12.5K. A bit much of that will piss off ANY sound guy (if he can still hear after all the 12.5K in the air).

If you're going for an exciter type box, I'd recommend the Aphex 204. More expensive, but WELL worth the difference in price. Adjustable frequencies, adjustable mix, way better sound, actual studio applications once in a while.

Been there / done that with both. The BBE isn't worthy of cleaning the knobs on the Aphex. That being said, I no longer have the Aphex - Just didn't need it. Long story... (cough - Pultec - sniffle - better) ;)

Bbe

I use the BBE Sonic Maximizer plugin in Sonar. I love it for making a quick fix to a weak track. I'm reluctant to use much EQ on a voice or acoustic instrument track because it often doesn't reflect the natural freq response of the source. The BBE plugin, if used sparingly, gives me that dynamic punch that I may have missed during recording, without exagerated freq bumps.

It is somewhat addictive if you start using it on everything. I try to only use it for problem tracks or if slight compression and/or EQ doesn't give the sound I'm looking for.

That's my $0.02.

BBE maximizer uses

I saw a few prosoundweb postings concerning its use. Good with guitar for that metal-crunch bite...I like it with my line 6 amp(not the greatest amp anyway).

Back