Battery Powered Amp...for bass - ADVICE?

Cuzme

Anybody had any experience with battery powered amplifiers...for bass guitar?

Naturally as a bass player, I want to maintain a deep rich tone and I intend to play with a drummer, guitar player, and a vocalist in the subway system of NYC.

In the past, I have used an acoustic electric bass and we played REALLY REALLY soft so as to hear everyone. But now we're upping the annie, especially since we now have a "Subway" reputation to uphold (http://www.headsetproductions.com/artists.php?id=Spokinn_Movement).

Any reccomendations? Thanks. Much love,
Cuzme

Cuzme said:
Anybody had any experience with battery powered amplifiers...for bass guitar?

Naturally as a bass player, I want to maintain a deep rich tone and I intend to play with a drummer, guitar player, and a vocalist in the subway system of NYC.

In the past, I have used an acoustic electric bass and we played REALLY REALLY soft so as to hear everyone. But now we're upping the annie, especially since we now have a "Subway" reputation to uphold (http://www.headsetproductions.com/artists.php?id=Spokinn_Movement).

Any reccomendations? Thanks. Much love,
Cuzme

I'm not sure what your budget is, but I found this:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=live/search/detail/base_pid/487778/

I've also seen battery powered PA systems, which you can plug your bass into.can't find any at the moment, but if you look around at gear sites, you should be able to find some.

The review numbers on that one make me nervous. I'm looking at the other (same but newer/older?) one...
http://www.guitarvision.com/mf/mf_frameset.htm

but beyond that, I can't find a decent competitor.

They do have that at GC in Union Square and I'll go in and play it once I return from this weekend's out of town hits
I really want more than one option! Esp. since I'm generally not a big fan of Crate products...but who knows - I'm willing to like it if it's truly likable.

Hey Iron Flippy,
Thanks for the response. Is Brookfield anywhere near New Haven? I'm playing there at BAR a week from tonight...unless she cancels on us. Much love,
Cuzme

I once took a little practice amp, found where the power supply left the rectifier and since the power supply was putting out 12V, I teed in a couple of 6V lantern batteries in front of the rectifier with a DPDT switch.

If you don't understand what I just wrote, don't try it.

apl said:
I once took a little practice amp, found where the power supply left the rectifier and since the power supply was putting out 12V, I teed in a couple of 6V lantern batteries in front of the rectifier with a DPDT switch.

If you don't understand what I just wrote, don't try it.

I dig it...but it's the end I don't get. "in front of the rectifier with a DPDT switch."

I didn't even think of portable power! :rolleyes: Thanks, I think that's definitely the way to go! :)

Thanks Apl and Philboyd! I doubt I'll get into DIY, mostly for time reasons and scared to risk shorting out an amp or electrifying myself. Have you had any experience with the power supply units you linked me to? Reccomendations?

Much love,
Cuzme

Reactions: apl
Cuzme said:
"in front of the rectifier with a DPDT switch."

The double pole double throw switch connected either the transformer or the batteries to the rectifier input.

Fletch-X said:
If you have the $ I've heard good things about the Phil Jones Briefcase.

Wow. That thing looks great, and durable, and way more convenient than carrying both a power supply and my other amps. I don't own anything smaller than an amp with at least one 15 inch speaker - I just love that warmth. But what I own is not that practical for the small subway busking gig.

hmmmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Cuzme said:
Wow. That thing looks great, and durable, and way more convenient than carrying both a power supply and my other amps. I don't own anything smaller than an amp with at least one 15 inch speaker - I just love that warmth. But what I own is not that practical for the small subway busking gig.

hmmmmmmmm. :rolleyes:

Here's a 36 pound 100W in a small bass amp. I got one for my daughter to use because she could carry it. It's got a lot of poop for its size.

Cuzme said:
Hey Iron Flippy,
Thanks for the response. Is Brookfield anywhere near New Haven? I'm playing there at BAR a week from tonight...unless she cancels on us. Much love,
Cuzme

New Haven is about an hour away from Brookfield. I'm up in MA for school now anyway.

Back