Bass

anyone else know anything about basses?

I mean are the split coils always wired for Hum cancelling, what are the J-style pick-ups. Are Humbuckers better?

Last edited:
one more suggestion.

I'm far from an expert on basses, but I also needed something decent but inexpensive purely for recording and bought the fender squire bass for $200. I t suits my purposes just fine. Ibanez has something in this price range also. For an extremely simple sample of it's sound recorded straight without any effects or compression check out"Farewell to Keith", my first test with it here, good luck:http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/?aid=3696/singles

Keep an eye out for used basses, too. I am a guitar player, and was in a similar situation (except I wanted a fretless). At one of the local stores, I found a MIM Fender Fretless Jazz Bass for $250 "used". It was there because, according to the salesman, some old lady bought it thinking it was fretted; she was later to find that the lines were just inlays. She tried to play it anyway, and couldn't, and thus waited so long to return it that it couldn't be exchanged. It still had the plastic film on the pickguard. Even if 250 seems like a lot for a used MIM Fender, it was practically new. I figure I saved about $170 by getting a bass that sat in some lady's closet for a while.

Yeah...P-bass....on the cheaper models most of the problem with them is the electronics...A MIM P-bass can be outfitted with an aftermarket pickup and a decent set of strings with a good setup on its action and VOILA! ..Instant decent quality bass sounds and playability.

Yes the split P-bass pickup tends to humbuck...

The J-style pickup is a single-pole pickup . They are a little more 'toppy' than the p-bass p/u.

For rock, a set of heavy strings goes a long way to getting that tight big sound.

Especially if you're an "occasional" bass player I would recommend buying used.

In the $200-$250 range, I think a used Peavey T-40 is hard to beat. Built like a tank in the USA from the late 70's to mid-80's, two humbuckers, heaviest bridge you've ever seen on a bass, incredible sustain, wide tonal range, and records like a charm. This is a professional-sounding bass at an entry-level price. The only negative is that it's incredibly heavy, and therefore not that suitable for long gigs unless you're a body builder.

If you can spend more, I would second a used made in the USA Fender P (not MIM). The P-Bass is a classic which also records very well and will keep its value.

Back