Bass with whammy bar!?!?

Never played one but often thought it would be cool to have. It's pretty far down on my list, though.

Great for bass solos, but I can't imagine much else.

Depends ...

Do you wanna shake your aorta , and separate your spine from your strernum from the low freaquency? Billy Sheehan said , "Leave the whammy with the guitar" ...but he freaquents Vai so ... who knows? :confused: It may be interesting ...not!

I remember seeing bass whammies in the '80s, but I never played one. Seems like you could get pretty close with a fretless, anyway . . .

We've got a regular customer who sends us basses all the time to put the Khaler bass trems on. Personally, I don't see the point, but he likes them a lot. Hipshot also makes one, but we've never installed one. They make nice stuff, one the whole, so it probably works fine.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

...yes I hears those exist a couple of days past...
Now, the hords of big-hair queenie wankers that can't stay in tune are on their march to the soul fortress of spinal uprightness!

Are ye mice or men sez I?? FIGHT, FIGHT the abominable, skinny evil!!!
Never let them put the mighty bassist broterhood descent to playthings of children!!!

\m/ WAR OUT!! \m/

I didn't know Washburn made one, but as mentioned above) Les Claypool (Primus, Colonel Claypool's Bucket Of Bernie Brains, etc.) has a couple with whammies. But then, he's Les Claypool and can pull that off.

slightly off-topic, but while on Les Claypool, what on earth is he using for a scale on Primus?.., or is he just out of tune?.. sounds good though :D

am I the only one thinking there would be a huge trade off of sustain and tone for having a tremolo on a bass? dunno ... never played one but I would think :confused:

dalley said:
am I the only one thinking there would be a huge trade off of sustain and tone for having a tremolo on a bass? dunno ... never played one but I would think :confused:

Sure, but the same is true on a guitar. And say, instead, that there is a CHANGE in tone and sustain. Trade-off implies that it is a bad thing, and to some people's ears it may be a very good thing. Everyone likes something different.

Light

"Cowards can never be moral."
M.K. Gandhi

I had a washburn with one in 89 it was cool with a phaser, or flanger and delay to do some trippy sounding stuff.

Jouni said:
slightly off-topic, but while on Les Claypool, what on earth is he using for a scale on Primus?.., or is he just out of tune?.. sounds good though :D

Well, on some songs he's using a one-string upright bass that he hits with a drumstick, and I'm pretty sure he doesn't bother with any sort of scale on that. Some of the songs are very melodic, though. Most of the Brown Album is actually relatively normal.

Back