Bass Truss rod adjustment

jfrog

uber-nerd
I just bought a cheap bass used- an Ibanez GSR 200. It has some fret buzz, so my guess is the best way to remedy this is to adjust the truss rod.

A couple of questions:

1. To reduce the fret buzz, do I want to tighten or loosen the truss rod?

2. Do you adjust the truss rod with the strings as full tension.

3. It's my understanding that you only want to adjust it 1/4 turn at a time...is that correct?

Any other tips would be welcome.

Easy neck adjustment...

jfrog said:
I just bought a cheap bass used- an Ibanez GSR 200. It has some fret buzz, so my guess is the best way to remedy this is to adjust the truss rod.

A couple of questions:

1. To reduce the fret buzz, do I want to tighten or loosen the truss rod?

2. Do you adjust the truss rod with the strings as full tension.

3. It's my understanding that you only want to adjust it 1/4 turn at a time...is that correct?

Any other tips would be welcome.

I had the same bass and here is how I adjusted the neck..

Push down on the top fat string on the last fret and the first fret. Check the middle of the neck frets, there should be a slight space under the string. Only enough to slide a piece of paper under approx. If not:

I loosened the strings and took 1/4 turn (tighten to add relief). Then I re-tuned and let the Bass sit overnight. Re-check and repeat the process until there is some relief in the middle of the neck. That should eliminate the buzz.

If not, then check the nut slots, saddles etc.

gvarko said:
I had the same bass and here is how I adjusted the neck..

Push down on the top fat string on the last fret and the first fret. Check the middle of the neck frets, there should be a slight space under the string. Only enough to slide a piece of paper under approx. If not:

I loosened the strings and took 1/4 turn (tighten to add relief). Then I re-tuned and let the Bass sit overnight. Re-check and repeat the process until there is some relief in the middle of the neck. That should eliminate the buzz.

If not, then check the nut slots, saddles etc.
Can't improve on that.

Back