Bass traps

desmond22

Hi all.

Ive just treated my whole room with rockwool. the sound now is so clear. its like im wearing headphones!
I noticed when im on the ladder the bass is super strong.
ive got 4 rockwool sheets left 1200 long by 600 wide.
im aware of putting them in corners, but im wondering can i just cover these in material and put them over the corners? and can i also cut them in half so they are 300 wide so i can make 8 traps (2 for each corner hi and low)
will 300 wide traps over corners work as well as 600 wide?
thanks in advance
steve

Cut the rectangles into a pair of squares then the squares diagonally into triangles.
Stack them into two or more bundles
Cover each bundle in hessian
slide the bundles into a corner each (hoefully your corners are a square as the bundles)
& bango cheap corner bass traps.
BUT there are better handyman ways of doing what I've said neatly & well using frames, cutting & stitching the covers etc.
You do know about sitting the stacks a little away from the wall to make them more efficient etc etc?
I know this because it's been recommended to me by several reputable HR people who have excellent home studios, (I know this because I've heard the product of the rooms & seen the pix). I haven't done it yet because I'm as unhandy as can be & I need to get rid of the irrepairably damaged piano, (cracked brass sound board - won't stay in tune any more), in my room that is acting as both a resonator & sympathizer before I do anything else.

basstraps

Brilliant Ray, thanks. yeah i wasnt sure about the sitting away from the wall but it makes sense. time to get more fibre glass on my skin - 3 days of it. nice. room sounds so good. i can actually hear what im doing finally.
hey maybe fill your piano up with rockwool. might be awesome. dont need to be handy - just stuff it in there!

If you sit the traingle traps about 10cm out from the corner you'll get a good result. There are people around here that can give you precise placing - have a squiz at the Real Traps site for soe excellent videos on setting up & general discussion stuff too. If only I had the money to get them to do the work!!!
Stuff the piano! Well, it's already stuffed so it couldn't hurt!

Hi all.

Ive just treated my whole room with rockwool. the sound now is so clear. its like im wearing headphones!
I noticed when im on the ladder the bass is super strong.
ive got 4 rockwool sheets left 1200 long by 600 wide.
im aware of putting them in corners, but im wondering can i just cover these in material and put them over the corners? and can i also cut them in half so they are 300 wide so i can make 8 traps (2 for each corner hi and low)
will 300 wide traps over corners work as well as 600 wide?
thanks in advance
steve

You mix on a ladder Steve? That is so cool! :D

:cool:

Back