Bass trap w/sand ?

yrdbrd

came across a website (can't find it again right now) the guy was describing
how to make bass traps with cylindrical concrete forms filled 1/2 to 3/4 full
with sand... was curious if anyone here has tried this or even if it really
works all that well.

any input would be much appreciated... thx

i don't know about this... wouldn't the cardboard form still act as a reflective surface?

if you wanted to test this theory, might want to buy bags of sand (the kind they sell to put in the back of truck beds during the winter) and stand them up in a corner. essentially that should be the same idea, yet minus the reflective cardboard tube and more ugly in appearance.

works all that well.

I've seen this somewhere before too.

It has something to do with the bass waves being dispersed due to the curvature of the forms themselves, not the waves moving through the sand.

works all that well.

It could be based on helmholtz resonance or diffusion.

came across a website (can't find it again right now) the guy was describing how to make bass traps with cylindrical concrete forms filled 1/2 to 3/4 full with sand.

That web page is the laughing stock of the acoustics biz. I emailed them a while back to tell them of their folly. Yet it's still there? :rolleyes:

--Ethan

I didn't know you posted over here Ethan. Good to see a pro around these parts. :D

I was wondering if you had heard of Green Glue yet?

thx guys, i had a feeling it was too good to be true
guess i was just hoping it really worked 'cause i've got all those supplies...

time to get some 703 and make some real ones

was curious if anyone here has tried this or even if it really works all that well.

as noted by other folks, the sand packed tubes doesn't do any bass trapping. you might see plans for tube-based traps based on Helmholtz principles but most often those are used for targeted problem frequencies since their bandwidth is usually limited. for most people, the simplest and easiest approach is rigid insulation covered in cloth and spanning corners (vertical and horizontal) which will yield good and consistent results. if you're not handy, there are a number of people on the forum who sell professional grade products that can be used to treat your space.

as noted by other folks, the sand packed tubes doesn't do any bass trapping. you might see plans for tube-based traps based on Helmholtz principles but most often those are used for targeted problem frequencies since their bandwidth is usually limited. for most people, the simplest and easiest approach is rigid insulation covered in cloth and spanning corners (vertical and horizontal) which will yield good and consistent results. if you're not handy, there are a number of people on the forum who sell professional grade products that can be used to treat your space.

+1

Also, the Studiotips Superchunk corner trap would be an excellent choice for DIY.

-John

Back