Bass Trap angles

djgc

Does it have any good effects if I tilted my bass trap which is hanging on the ceiling slightly at an angle?

I just thought aesthetically it would look nicer but I am not sure what effects will it have on my acoustics.

Well.... It depends on what type of Bass Trap we are talking about.
Is a Membrane type trap or an absorber type trap and if so is it reflective on one surface and absorbing on the other?
Is it just the typical foam that some people think actually does something but doesn't?

How big is it? if it is less that a few square feet it probably won't matter how you angle it.

It is a true Bass absorber (like 2-4 inch compressed fiberglass or mineral wool) and it is of sufficient size, than varying the air gap behind it can add some added benifits to the frequency range it absorbs.

Does it have any good effects if I tilted my bass trap which is hanging on the ceiling slightly at an angle?

I just thought aesthetically it would look nicer but I am not sure what effects will it have on my acoustics.

I'm going to disagree with Tom a bit and say no...angling absorption panels really doesn't add any benefit, and can actually make the absorption characteristics of the panel less predictable. In a room where critical listening is the goal being able to predict treatment results is pretty important. Where I'd agree with Tom is that there are some situations where, depending on the type of panel you're using, angling is a good thing.

...angling absorption panels really doesn't add any benefit, and can actually make the absorption characteristics of the panel less predictable.

Not sure if that applies to specific types...but something like the Real Traps type are often shown angled across the ceiling/wall corners...and I think Ethan recommends them to be hung that way in that area....
...though I often wondered if NOT angling them across the corner, but instead hanging them parallel to the ceiling (but still close to the corner) would somehow take away from their corner bass trapping efficiency...?

Here's a Real Traps image from their website:

mini1.jpg

Not sure if that applies to specific types...but something like the Real Traps type are often shown angled across the ceiling/wall corners...and I think Ethan recommends them to be hung that way in that area....
...though I often wondered if NOT angling them across the corner, but instead hanging them parallel to the ceiling (but still close to the corner) would somehow take away from their corner bass trapping efficiency...?

No, you're right there...angling them across a corner is a different thing though. I think the OP is talking about just angling them when they're placed flat to avoid parallel surfaces.

No, you're right there...angling them across a corner is a different thing though. I think the OP is talking about just angling them when they're placed flat to avoid parallel surfaces.

yes that is what im talking about.

btw if I was the build my own bass traps whats the best way to build it and really make use of it?

I see most ppl just build liek a wooden frame and stick insulation in and wrap it around with fabric....

is that really the way?

btw if I was the build my own bass traps whats the best way to build it and really make use of it?

I see most ppl just build liek a wooden frame and stick insulation in and wrap it around with fabric....

is that really the way?

That is indeed the way most people do it, and it works just fine.

how about the thickness and size of the bass trap? are there any effects to it? or basically just the bigger it is the more it does the job?

Well, the bigger (thicker) it is the more it affects the low frequencies. Usually, you want about a 4" panel for the ceiling and side wall reflection points. And, yes, I agree with Frank totally. Now, if you would like to angle them for visual effects.. go right ahead - as long as you do not uncover untreated ceiling by angling them. ;)

Cheers,
John

Back