Bass suggestion?

The Fender Squiers will have a single pickup.

[Edit] wait, that's the broncos. Post up a pic.

Squier Vintage P basses will have the look of the one above, and then there's Broncos. And I think some older Musicmasters.

But he said that it said Fender Precision. Of course, with the availability of decals and Chinese counterfeits, who knows anymore.

embarrassed. i googled it again, and it's actually a re-issue called "Blue Flower Fender Precision". I guess it is the real deal, and it's a fairly priced piece. i saw between $300-950! Maybe it is my USB Box w/ pre-amp. i feel like this thread was a waste of time for everyone!

And if you don't like it, it doesn't matter how expensive it is, it's not what you're looking for.

The good news is that when you go looking for one that is what you're looking for, you've got a fairly big bargaining chip.

Blue Flower Fender Precision

That is one hideous bass. As for the hum, check that you are using an instrument cable from the bass to the interface. Some people use speaker cable and wonder why it hums.

Are you using a laptop or a pc? Some laptops will hum when plugged into an outlet. If it is a laptop, try it with just the battery. If it is a PC, check that nothing else is on the USB hub. Don't get too close to your PC with the guitar. It'll pick up RFI noise from the computer.

That is one hideous bass. As for the hum, check that you are using an instrument cable from the bass to the interface. Some people use speaker cable and wonder why it hums.

Are you using a laptop or a pc? Some laptops will hum when plugged into an outlet. If it is a laptop, try it with just the battery. If it is a PC, check that nothing else is on the USB hub. Don't get too close to your PC with the guitar. It'll pick up RFI noise from the computer.

it is rather ugly, but i wasn't going to complain when my friend let me have it as long as i'd like to record with. as for the hum, i am certain i'm using an instrument cable. i'll try to not be too offended..i'm sure many people are on here who have zero experience in music prior to this site. More on the cable- the guitars use the same one and there is no problem, it is only the bass. thanks

And of course, swap cables, use the shortest cable you can, etc.

It'll be the run of cable from the bass to the interface that's most vulnerable to RF.

Anyway, get the bass checked out and then we can go from there.

BTW, if it's hum from the bass, sometimes just facing a different direction can make a huge difference because you're changing your alignment in a magnetic field.

Whatever happens, don't let this be a distraction from making music. You're too good to stop.

And I wasn't just blowin' smoke up yer ass (I never really have understood that phrase), I really do like that song.

I found a used Harmony bass in a pawn shop in 1991 which was a copy of a Fender of some sort. I sounds good and plays well, and I've used it ever since. It cost me, along with a hard shell case, about a $100.00. I've been really happy with it. I don't think it even has a serial number. I only say this so you don't exclude any cheaper used basses. Something to consider.

I use ampsims for my bass tones, with a cheap, $100 pawn shop bass myself (I actually gave $90 for it)...:D.

Carlo Robelli 4-string:
Miner, I seem to have exactly the same cheapo bass as you; but mine is called a Jim Deacon. You don't think they came out of the same cheapo factory in China do you?

update: turning in a proper direction really did help with the hum. the problem before was that the "humming area" was so big, that i figured it had nothing to do with position. no matter which way I sat, it hummed. Now, i found a good spot where it's pretty much silent...but it is really a small space and moving the slightest bit gets it going again. i mean, inches. that's hard for someone like me who really creates dynamics by playing hard - i thrash about occasionally. oh well, at least i know the problem. kept the bass too, in case anyone was wondering...i found a good EQ, comp, amp sim setting that i'll keep as my standard for this instrument. thanks a lot everyone

update: turning in a proper direction really did help with the hum. the problem before was that the "humming area" was so big, that i figured it had nothing to do with position. no matter which way I sat, it hummed. Now, i found a good spot where it's pretty much silent...but it is really a small space and moving the slightest bit gets it going again. i mean, inches. that's hard for someone like me who really creates dynamics by playing hard - i thrash about occasionally. oh well, at least i know the problem. kept the bass too, in case anyone was wondering...i found a good EQ, comp, amp sim setting that i'll keep as my standard for this instrument. thanks a lot everyone

I do the same thing with my bass. It looks like this.
Fender Sting Signature Precision Bass 2-Tone Sunburst - Used | The Music Zoo
It's huge.

mine is also a Precision. Single coil. i read yesterday that the single coils hum more too.
Oh yeah, same with the Stratocaster. You can find lots of people trying to tame that noise.

Meant to say that you might try a gate device to reduce that hum. Either hardware or software.

Last edited:
Back