Bass rattle

Ty

In our band the guitar and bass are tuned a half tone
lower, this sounds good but the bass player is having
trouble with string rattle.
He uses 40 - 102 double ballend strings roundwound,
I was just wondering if a different string size wound be
better ?
The bass has a carbon neck so it can't be adjusted.
Any help with this problem would be much appreciated
Ty.

Ps: A merry Christmas and a happy new year to you all as well.

how bad is it rattling, is it like dieing the note out fast or just rattling a little bit. what kinda bass is it name brand i mean.
i used to have a whestone guitar with a carbon neck on it and it had a treshrod for adjustment. another thing the strings might be old when strings get old they tend to die out and have a dead rattly sound to them, have him get some good high end strings like some elixirs and have the place where he buys them put them on and set it up for him and make sure you explain that you tune lower and it was causing string rattle, but i warn you elixirs might cost 60 bucks or more.but man they sound nice and bright.
i hope this helped a little. good luck and god bless. tim pate

I had the same problem.

I thinks its becuase of strings. my P-Bass came with those normal fender strings and it was fine, then when they wore out i changed them to D'Addros, those just sucked on my bass. so then i went to GHS Boomers and they work fine. good tone, good response, just enough of everything, overall they work on my bass. So you should sugest to your bass player to pick up a set *i use 55-115* and try them out. They sound fine in drop D too.

Freak

Strings do lose their brightness the longer you leave them on the guitar but my guess would be the rattle is coming from the way the action is set up on the bass. I would definantly do what was suggested earlier and take it someone who knows how to set it up for a lower tuning.

Try this one, I have my guitar and bass set really low, so much that I get string slap all the time, I use a boss compressor and it compensates for it, I get so much string slap that it is virtually impossible to play without the compressor, and incidentally I do know how to set up instruments, I repair them and have done for over 20 years, it's just that I like it like that.

Back