bass preamp into a dp008ex

juanl

Hi, if i connect my bass into a tone hammer (18volt power) preamp do i have to choose the line input or the guitar one of the tascam dp008ex? I have the same question if i am connecting my guitar/bass using a powerfull effect like the fuzz factory, which inpu ydo i have to use?

thank you.

Hi there,
General rule of thumb - If it's designed to go into a guitar amp or bass amp, you should plug it into the DI input.

Some effects or multi effects pedals may also have line outputs, but they'll usually be labelled as such.

Most active devices will drive a line input without any problems. OTOH - 18V is way too much for most things intended for passive guitars. If it's got a master volume or the input of recorder has a decent pad it probably doesn't matter either way.

Hi there,
General rule of thumb - If it's designed to go into a guitar amp or bass amp, you should plug it into the DI input.

Some effects or multi effects pedals may also have line outputs, but they'll usually be labelled as such.

The problem here is that on the dp 008 the only inputs are two TS 1/4" (one has the option to choose "mic/line" or "guitar") and two XLR mic/line inputs. Where should i connect this preamp/di? Its called tone hammer from aguilar and it supposedly can power an amp, it works on 18 v. It has TS 1/4 output/input and XLR one also. Getting it bad connected can broke anything?

Thank you.

Last edited:
The problem here is that on the dp 008 the only inputs are two TS 1/4" (one has the option to choose "mic/line" or "guitar") and two XLR mic/line inputs. Where should i connect this preamp/di? Its called tone hammer from aguilar and it supposedly can power an amp, it works on 18 v. It has TS 1/4 output/input and XLR one also. Getting it bad connected can broke anything?

Thank you.

No, you cannot break anything plugging line/instrument levels around and in this case you seem to be cool anyway.

The 008 operates at -10dBV (max I/P +6dBV =2V) and the bass pre amp outputs -14dBu which is just about bob on right! It will probably make little difference to the sound whether you use the line input or instrument, try both.

Dave.

If it's designed to be plugged into an amp I'd plug it into the jack input on the interface, set to instrument.
If the interface is set to line it's not going to do any harm and will probably work as well.
Just listen and see if either sounds better to you.

The manual does say "1/4" instrument output" but it also lists voltage specs that I don't know much about.

Definitely don't plug into into mic input via XLR, though. That's not good.

No, you cannot break anything plugging line/instrument levels around and in this case you seem to be cool anyway.

The 008 operates at -10dBV (max I/P +6dBV =2V) and the bass pre amp outputs -14dBu which is just about bob on right! It will probably make little difference to the sound whether you use the line input or instrument, try both.

Dave.
Where'd you get that? What I found said the preamp has max output of 4V RMS from the 1/4" out and 8V from the XLR. Either way, you're not going to be able to crank that preamp to max without overdriving the recorder. No, it won't damage anything, but it probably won't sound great.

arcaxis - that extra triangle in the input path is a differential amp (or similar) to take the balanced input and unbalance it gracefully to interface with the rest of the circuit. The mic input is actually less sensitive than the line in - it has less gain. The input impedance there is only 2.4K, which is a bit low for some things, but since the preamp doesn't tell us its out-Z, so the only way to tell if it's a problem is to plug it in and listen. All that said, the only real benefit to the XLR connection is that it's balanced, which shouldn't make much difference unless it's a longish run in a noisyish environment.

Quite right Mr S I have since found this...
3. Specifications
Input impedance: 1meg Ohm
¼” output level: 4VRMS maximum
XLR output level: 8VRMS maximum balanced
¼” output noise: -95dBu ‘A’ weighted
XLR output noise: -98dBu ‘A’

But I DID find another device with the lower output! There are a lot of them.

Dave.

Thank you for your answers,

What if i plug in my bass or guitar into a strong/wild pedal like the fuzz factory? should i choose the line input or the guitar one?

Doesn't much matter. Whichever one gives you a level you can work with without clipping the recorder.

Back