Bass Pod vs Pod Pro / Tech21 Sansamp / Sansamp Pro / Art Tube MP / Behringer DI 100

BigLex

I need a preamp to start to use to record bass with my hip-hop and R&B beats.. I'd like something with tweaking capabilities so I can alter the sound of the bass as needed for different songs.. The Sansamp I know has a good rep. but can you get different sounding tones out of it? Is the POD worth the $350? And the Art Tube's catalog description states that it can be used for vocals, bass, guitar... I imagine it wouldnt be as good as the sansamp or Pod specifically for basses..

The ART Tube MP on its own is....ehhh ok. The Sansamp Bass Driver on its own is....ehh ok. But you put them together, and oh yeah!

Now, the Bass POD will probably get you a whole lot more flexibility. The Sansamp combo is more subtle, but in my opinion just plain great sounding at times.

Slackmaster 2000

I like the SansAmp Bass Driver; it's really only one sound, but it's a darn good one. I have also used my ART Tube MP and a JoeMeek VC6 for direct bass sounds. They all have good sounds, but they all really only have the one sound they do.

I find my Bass Pod to be much more flexible, especially since I have a lot fo different needs as far as bass tones. The thing to remember is this: for $350, you get a whole bunch of usable bass sounds (I use about 8 different ones regularly), plus some effects that I don't find all that useful, plus a DI. With all the other solutions, every time you want a new bass sound, you really have to get a new piece of equipment (a new bass, a new DI, a new pedal, etc.).

I second the thought on using the ART Tube MP and the SansAmp together. That's the chain I use when I'm recording. I have a Trademark 10 now, but when I record, I still use the little MP in front of the trademark.

Re: Bass Pod vs Pod Pro / Tech21 Sansamp / Sansamp Pro / Art Tube MP / Behringer DI 100

BigLex said:
And the Art Tube's catalog description states that it can be used for vocals, bass, guitar... I imagine it wouldnt be as good as the sansamp or Pod specifically for basses..

Just to clarify, the Art Tube is simply a mic pre. It does not have sound shaping abilities and therefore cannot really be compared with a sansamp or Pod.

Cy

Fusioninspace said:
I second the thought on using the ART Tube MP and the SansAmp together. That's the chain I use when I'm recording. I have a Trademark 10 now, but when I record, I still use the little MP in front of the trademark.

I am looking to better my bass sound and I found this thread (yup, I'm one of those people who searches before posting!); I also own both an ART MP and a Trademark 10...

Could you please go into more detail as how you connect these two together, settings used on each device (MP and Trade10), especially volume/input/output levels, etc.?

Thanks!!

-mr moon

Howdy Mr. Moon!

I basically just run my guitar/bass/whatever through the ART and then output the ART via 1/4" cable to the SansAmp/Trademark.

On the ART MP, I set both the input/output around 12:00 - That might change depending on the amount of gain/clean I need. The +20 db, Phantom power, and Phase reverse are all in the up position.

I'm just looking to get that tube in the signal chain. It seems to add that final, subtle touch to the solid state modeler. Most of my signal processing occurs with the SansAmp/Trademark. The bottom line is to play with the set up and find what you like.

Have fun! That little 12AX7 is an amazing part of our music heritage.

Thanks for the info, F.I.S.!

What settings do you suggest on the Trademark 10? (just for reference as a starting point) I'm assuming you just run a standard instrument patch cable for the ART into the "input" jack on the Trade10, right? Then you use the XLR out to your soundcard...

I've heard that to "disable" the speaker while using the XLR out, all you have to do is put a "dummy" plug in the headphone output, ...have you tried this? I hope this works, as my wife and my bedroom is directly above my studio space, and this arrangement would make it tough to record bass at 3 AM right now, as the amp would be too loud to get away with it.

Anyways, thanks for all your help!

-mr moon

Mr. Moon,

When I record, I plug headphones into the Trademark. I listen to my signal through the mixer with a seperate set of headphones.

On the Trademark, I just set it to whatever I'm looking for from modeled amp perspective. One thing to consider is that you might want to keep the reverb off. You can always add that to the signal during mix down if need be.

Although I generally try to record the sound I want as I lay it down to tape (or disk in your case). I have a Tascam 414 cassette, so I'm not real big into post-production stuff. If I was working digital, I might take a different approach.

For the amp models - I tend to stay with the Fender with drive set at half. Bass and treble at about 1:00, mids at about 11:00. I don't pump up the gain switch. Reverb is at 12:00

If I want distortion, I generally start with the Mesa sound with the drive up around 3:00 and the overdrive switch up. No reverb.

I audition everything through the mixer headphones, cause that's what is going to end up on tape.

Good luck!

Update......

Hey!

I just wanted to post an update to let people know how my little "ART MP preamp => Trademark 10" bass signal chain experiment went. I have been blown away by the guitar tone I've gotten from this thing and I thought I'd try it on the bass as well.....

Well ...I am floored by the sounds that I'm getting, completely amazed at the difference! I have the bass (US Masters EP 5) plugged into the ART MP preamp, which then goes into the trademark 10, and out through the XLR output into my soundcard (Aardvark DP 2496). I have been able to get the best tone so far from this setup, much better than the ART alone, as I can use the Trademark 10 to completely tailor the sound completely; tone, reverb, and overdrive settings are all on the trademark 10.

Another trick I learned is to put a dummy plug in the headphone jack for late-night recording, as it disables the speaker, but allows the signal to go out the XLR output. Actually, I use this trick all the time when I play/record bass since I don't want to thrash the "huge" 8" speaker too badly... :)

Rock on!

-mr moon

Back