Bass Pedal Question

ninjasuperstar8

Ok, this may sound stupid to some ppl but I am lookin for some help with this. Here's my scenario: I am an "on/off" drummer for about 7 yrs now and I only live in a small town where I don't have the luxury of trying out a lot of different drum gear. The bass pedal I have on my kit right now is a Yamaha DFP 9310 Double Chain Drive. It was given to me as a Christmas gift and it is wicked. I am mostly in to fast punk beats where it sounds a bit like the drummer is using a double bass pedal when really he's just quick on the one pedal. I tried someone elses kit a few weeks ago and he had a set of pearl pedals (not sure exact models) and I found that I could do those fast drum beats on those pedals almost effortlessly but if I was to do the same beat on my pedals I wouldn't be able to keep it up for too long, I had to put quite a bit of effort into it. I got a few othe drummers to look at my pedals and tweak around with it to see if we could all get it to perform the same way as those ones. We managed to get it a bit better but everyone still agreed that my Yamaha pedals are an Awesome, solid, durable pedal but we couldn't hold the fast beats for too long. Anyways, I don't really want to upgrade my pedals cause these ones are new but I was lookin at the DW 9002's and everyones reviews were great and said that they found with those pedals that they could do fast beats with minimal effort.

Do you guys think there is a way to get my Yamaha pedals to perform this way or are some pedals built for speed and others for different purposes? Do you guys think I should bite the dust and upgrade pedals? And lastly; does anyone here use the DW 9002's that I am talkin about and can you tell me about it compared to other pedals.

I know this sounds like laziness and like I need more practice ha ha.
Thanks for the help everyone

sounds like any pedal with an offset sprocket or cam will do fine for you. The 9002 are nice but $$$ the pedal your freind had was probably a pearl eliminator. These are alot cheaper and have interchangeable cams so you should have no problems using those if thats the way you decide to go. If you want to know what I am talking about as far as offset look at the dw turbo vs accellerator pedals. The accellerator pedal has an offset sprocket and the stroke becomes faster as the beater reaches the head. That makes the pedal quicker.

Offset cams don't necessarily mean you can play faster beats, they do give a little extra power in each stroke though.

If your pedal's awesome, and you're not doing a lot of drumming, I'd save your money and practice, as you said. But if you're up for buying gear, I can't blame you. I just love new gear. Can you give us a pic of your current pedal? If it's slow, you may be able to change the bearings. It sounds very odd that there's such a big difference between the pedals if all the drummers agree that yours is still great.

The eliminator is a great choice in pedal, since it gives so many options, but any of either the eliminator, dw's, or iron cobra will do you greatly.

Give us a pic, and you'll get a few more opinions. Good luck.

iancl said:
The eliminator is a great choice in pedal, since it gives so many options, but any of either the eliminator, dw's, or iron cobra will do you greatly.

Give us a pic, and you'll get a few more opinions. Good luck.
I agree. I used to use Eliminators, but I now use Iron Cobras exclusively (DW's just didn't feel right for me). The few Yamaha pedals I have used over the years did feel very stiff to me too.

Hello again,

Thanks for all the input. I posted a few pics of my pedals as was requested, as you will notice in one of the pics I have plastic Beaters instead of the ones that came with it because someone recommended them to try and improve them ( I really haven't noticed too much difference).

I called a insrument dealer and he said pretty much the same as you guys that the DW 9002's are real good pedals but expensive. He suggested Iron Cobra PowerGlides. I know you all said Iron Cobras are really good as well, do you guys think the powerglides are good as well?

Another stupid question; I noticed that most of the pedals now come with optional Nylon Strap. What is the "advantage" of the strap over the chain? (I have never even seen the pedal equipped with the strap so I don't know ha ha ha.

Attachments

• Bass Pedals 4.JPG
    Bass Pedals 4.JPG
    60.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Bass Pedals 2.JPG
    Bass Pedals 2.JPG
    45.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Bass Pedals 3.JPG
    Bass Pedals 3.JPG
    28.2 KB · Views: 19
  • Bass Pedals(1).JPG
    Bass Pedals(1).JPG