Bass, Line Out and the whole Balancing act

scared_of_girls

OK, this scenario/question is quite specific and detailed but hopefuly a few different people can provide little bits of insight and I can build up my understanding.

First up the gear:
Ibanez Ergodyne 5-string with active circuitry
Fender BXR 200 combo
Behringer Eurorack UB2442FX mixer
Maxi Studio ISIS 8in/4out PC interface
Logic Audio Pro ISIS virtual studio

The main issue is getting the bass sound into the mixer, after that I'm fairly right.

The amp has both a 1/4" and XLR Line Out so I would like to use the XLR as I assume (first point of clarification required) it is balanced. This is post chorus and compression.

If this is balanced (and I don't really see the point of XLR if it's not) is this what many articles refer to as a built-in DI? I kept being told that most modern bass amps have a built-in DI but I'm not sure if that's something a little different.

The next question is around the connection with the mixer. Each channel has both Mic (XLR) and Line (1/4") inputs. The Mic input has an invisible pre-amp so I dont think I really want to use that. The Line input says "BAL OR UNBAL". So ... can I get (do I need) a balanced XLR-1/4" cable to make the most of this? Is there such a thing? If so, is the 1/4" a stereo (TRS) plug?

Os should I just buy a little DI and be done with it?

I have tried a standard instrument cable out of the 1/4" and into the 1/4" Line input - it is noisy. I've also tried a combo of close-mic SM57 and medium-mic Samson C01 condensor which is much better but I would like to blend in DI as well (also got a Realistic Pressure Zone Mic for room sound). I want it all!

All comments greatly appreciated.

For your best shot at low noise, check that your gains are set up in the optimum range on the front end on any system, on the amp (and on the bass -active pickups?), again on the mixer, etc.
The typical DI split points are off the guitar input, after the amp's pre, after all the amp tone/effects controls, or even a speaker.
A TRS x XLR will get you balanced into the mic-in on the mixer, but it would still need to be padded back down. Going 1/4 unbalanced on short runs shouldn't be a big source of extra noise.
Some bass rigs have the DI selectable from an input split, or post all the controls, same as using seperate di box.
Hope that helps.
Wayne

Thanks, I think I'll try an XLR-1/4" balanced lead - it sounds like a handy lead to own anyway. It will go to the Line input so padding down shouldn't a big issue.

Scared - just had a look at the BXR200 manual. There's one here if you haven't got one: http://www.mrgearhead.net/faq/pdf/basspdf/BXR200.pdf

Looks like you might do better using the FX send, as that is before the chorus and power amp and stuff, wheres the line out is giving you the post everything signal (it mimics the signal to the speaker, post the power amp) and it's not a pure DI. Like mixsit said, you'll need to get the gain staging right to minimise noise, but I suspect this is going to be quite noisy anyway, you will probably find a DI box to be cleaner but you wouldn't get the benefit of the Fender pre. Defeinitely try the FX send, see if that's better.

Back