Bass Guitar for the non-Bass Player

aaroncomp

1-20-2009
Hey gang. I've played electric and acoustic guitar for over 8 years now. When recording tracks, I typically either borrow a bass from a friend or do some MIDI work. Both typically turn out pretty good, with my passable bass work. I don't have a bass and am thinking of purchasing one, just for recording. Curious if anyone had any recommendations for this situation (no quick thread found with searching). Basically, I'm looking for the best bang-for-the-buck, again, for recording only - don't want to invest much money. Most pieces I do are modern rock/alternative/metal and some acoustic work. I will be doing DI via my PodXT, as I've gotten great results with it in the past for bass. Thanks for input. ;)

Dude, just go to the music store and pick out something you're comfortable playing. I bought a cheap Yamaha ($150) bass (I picked it because the neck was comfortable) and it sounds and records solid.

One problem with my cheap bass is that it is a little "noisy" ... but you can take care of that by putting a noise suppressor pedal on it, or I whip up the Noise Gate on my Bass modeler. And always make sure you use GOOD SOLID cables like those by Planet Waves or Monster. You should look at good cables as an investment that will pay off, because they help keep things quiet.

Or maybe you have $500 to buy a good, quiet bass!

Don't worry about the cables - I don't proceed with any new gear unless I've got nice cables for everything in the chain. Again, I realize that going into a store, etc. and playing what feels best is ideal, but I'm not looking for much invested in this; thus, eBay, pawn shop, etc. are more likely the route I'll be going. So, I would prefer one without the buzz, etc. you descibed, but still be relatively inexpensive.

Faced with the same circumstances, I ordered an SX bass online for $119 - it's a P/J combination. I also purchased a Dimarzio set of P/J pickups and had them installed and the bass set up. I'm VERY pleased with the result... it's a good-playing, good sounding entry level bass for not a lotta cash.

I bought a USA Custom Shop Washburn XB900 P/J bass on eBay for $229, for exactly the same purpose. It's been a great player.

The only two I see on eBay right now are in the $400-500 range, though.

Yamaha and Ibanez basses will generally lead the pack in the "best bang for a few bucks" category.

Ibanez

I'm a keyboard and guitar player, and needed a bass for the same purpose. I bought the cheapest one I could find with active electronics, about $250 at GC used. I'm not happy at all. After awhile, I definitely wished I had bought a more solid instrument, even if that meant less features. I ended up spending quite a bit more on a Guild (didn't even know they made basses before I foud it) and love it. I can't even LOOK at my Ibanez after playing it. And now, I've come to really relish playing bass, instead of it being simply a neccessary ingredient, and as a result I got much better and now my music sounds better. My advice would be to buy a really quality instrument, even if you have to save up for awhile.

I went to GC in Philly and bought a Squire bass for somewhere between $2-300.I took it home, played it and thought it sounded cheap,noisy and had a bit of a rattle when you hit the strings. I went back a day later, got my money back, went to GC in NJ and bought a $1000 Warwick. There were a couple of reasons for this. First, bass players ALWAYS have a gig. They are the most sought after, so if an opportunity came up for a great touring band that needed a bass player, or any decent band for that matter, I'd have a decent bass to audition with. You may have a mind set that you're only going to be recording with it for now....but things change.Second, the sound/playability of the Warwick can't even be compared to a Squire. The Warwick is solid as a rock and sustains forever. Weighs a ton though...made of very heavy wood. Just a thought...

J.P.

I picked up a used El Degas Precision Bass copy around 20 years go for $75
A friend got one too around 5 years ago for $125, and swears they are quite close to a real Fender. He's a pro, and been playing 30 years.
We're both guitar players, that needed a bass for jamming or home recording.

Like one of the other comments, whatever feels good.
I like the sound of a Les Paul, but I don't feel comfortable playing them.
I prefer strat / double cutaway guitars more comfortable to play

I think that Rondo's SX basses rule the roost as far as how little you can spend in order to get something that's not just a toy. A good bass for a great price. Stepping up to the $200+ range, I dont think that Yamaha, Washburn, or Ibanez can be beaten.

I'm a guitarist (or try to be anyway) but a while back I picked up a Johnson (go ahead and laugh) just to doodle around on. I chose a short scale model, mostly for comfort. After playing it for a while I found that it was a fairly decent bass and a lot easier to play than a full size bass. I'm not reccomending any certain brand, just suggesting that you check out some shorter scale basses, especially if you are more used to playing guitar, you might be surprised at the difference it will make.

Hey, Aaron. It sounds like you're in the same situation that I was in last year. Here's why I chose a Yamaha, which has worked out beautifully in my little home studio.

I've been a guitar player for 30 years, and last summer I picked up a bass for my home recording (I was tired of bringing in bassists or using a synth). I spent an afternoon at my local GC and focused on two well reviewed low-budget basses, the Yamaha 170 and Ibanez 200. At first, I prefered the Ibanez for its thinner neck and easier action, which might be preferable for some players, but I noticed a some slight fret buzzing on the several guitars I tested. For my interest in clean recordings, I felt that the Yamaha was the better choice--the action was a bit higher, the neck a bit beefier, but the sound was so clean and pure (for a bass at this price point). In fact, my recordings since have born this out; the bass sounds solid and clear via a Johnson J-Station. I also found the Yamaha's body design to be particulary well suited to playing while seated, something I appreciate when recording.

So, in general... I found both basses to be low-cost winners, really quite surprising for their ridiculously low prices. For a beginner, especially a youngin', I would probably choose the Ibanez for its easy playability. For a recording musician with some guitar experience, I think the Yamaha's a better choice--although I'm sure the Ibanez could be fine with some adjustment. Either way, I'd suggest asking a store to bring out a few of either model so that you can check the necks for straightness and smooth/even frets. I find a lot of obvious inconsistency in craftmanship at this price point, so after I'd decided on the Yamaha, I had the GC folks bring out 3 of them (new in box), and I took one that was clearly superior in overall build and finish.

If you're interested, you can search this forum (and via Google) to find loads of reviews of both the Yammie and Ibanez. Very solid reviews, overall, in the cheapo range.

Good luck, whichever way you head~
J.

You really have to go out and play them, as inexpensive basses can vary alot in terms of quality, even amongst the same model. I settled on a Squier Standard Series(don't get the Affinity series -- they have much cheaper hardware) P-Bass Special ($220), as it had the best neck, factory setup, and sound of the sub-$300 basses I tried. The Ibanez and Yamaha are also respectable, but I did not like the ones I came across at my music stores. Rondo/SX basses have a good rep, but are only available online. If you can afford to step up to the Mexican Fenders ($400+), they are quite nice, IME.

My preference has always been for the vintage japanese off brands. Search "lawsuit bass" on ebay and some fun stuff comes up for cheap. A personal favourite is Teisco.

cheers,
scott

Short for short work

Short scales are great - my 1st bass was short, as am I.
Good for small folk & guitarists who don't want to stretch too far & put out their feel.
A BIG pain to get strings for though - especially if you're trying to buy cheaply from eBay etc.
Cheers
rayC

Back