bass gtr recomendation

Fed

i'm thinking about getting a bass guitar for my home studio in $400 range. One that stuck out is Ibanez BTB405 looks like versitile combination of passive pick ups and active eq.

I know I will have to go and play like a million basses before I find one I like, but still your recomendations would be appriciated...

I did play BTB 1005 whitch is higher end model and liked the feel alot

Also question ... whitch scale 35" or lower will have a looser strings. I guess 35" will be tighter but I'm not sure.

thanks everyone
cheers

Yamaha BBN4, Fender Jazz or Precision, and some the Ibanez line. Look for tone that YOU like, intonation, dead spots, quality of construction, how the neck feels in your hands.

Tone is the most important. Recommendations don't mean much because tone is a very personal thing.

$400 will get you a good *used* Fender and possibly a hard case too.

I bought a "dent 'n Scratch' USA Precision from MF, hard case included. Not a mark on it. Was nicely setup and playable and sounds great, ....and you have 30 days to decide.

/DMM

Thanks guy for your comments
I'm a guitar player (or so I think :) ) but I like playing bass when I have a chanse.

Fender basses that I played before all seemed very stiff and somehow harder to play. The bass that I mentioned (Ibanez BTB 1005) was realy smooth and easy to play.

As far as recomendations go, Wide Awake is somewhat right but then again if I get enough opinions I'll have somewhere to start. But like I said I'll probably play a milion of them before I buy :D

cheers

Well $400 for you is about $800 for me i think coz i live in Australia. I play a Samick and i love the sound BUT i have absolutely no idea how much these go for these days.

my mate just bought a nice Yamaha RBX270 for about $400 bucks but thats Australian so really all the information i can give you is that all these stupid countries should use the same currency.

have fun

Be sure to check the OLP basses. These are cheaper Ernie Balls copies of Musicman Stingrays, to be had for like $300, and they are worth a $1000! Really good basses. I myself have a Cort Artisan NA-4, but that's more in the $700-800 range... It's a hella-versatile bass though... neckthru, Bartolini Designed pickups, 3 band active EQ, natural figured maple finish... looks fuckin'great.

Be aware that, although Ibanez Soundgears might appeal to you as a guitarist at first (because of their slim necks and easy playability), in the long run the cheaper ones suck at being a real bassguitar... So, it's better to check
Yamaha
OLP
Bass Collection

which all provide decent basses for little money...

thanks everyone

speeddemon, thanks
are BTB bases like 405 from Soundgear line or are they better quality. I didn't like their SR basses much. I'll make sure to check your recomendation.

I'm leaning towards 5str bass as I like the idea of a low B note though low D would probably used more :)

cheers

Fed said:
Yep, that's the same as my sweetie :)

Be aware that with 5 string basses, you'll need to mute the lower B alot if you're not playing it. I chose a 4 string for that. I'm not doing any nu-metal anyways... 4 strings is enough. If you like a low D, maybe you could turn down the bass a whole note.

BTW, the OLP basses are also available in 5 string-versions.
Available colors are natural, black, silver-smoke and funky metallic glitter-blue... The natural looks the best...

hmmmmm

I personally like Spectors...You can get one for $450...
Also, I love Zon basses, but they are expensive...

Peace...

PC

The Spectors are ehhhh... They're okay. The Czech-made ones, the EXPENSIVE ones are killer...

But my pick for basses... Conklins. They're the best basses I've ever played. I plugged in a Conklin GrooveTools 4-string, started fiddling around with it, and fell in love instantly.

www.conklinguitars.com

Available in 4, 5, 6, or 7 string designs. I think they may have an 8-string.

OLP basses are nice, but nothing more..

The nice thing about'em is they have the *exact* same electronics and pots of the MM basses, but the wood used is of a lower quality. building could be better though; I saw a few with the ...err...what's this thing called like.. the little screw on the headstock, used to lower the two higher strings - thingy :D
a few millimetres off-axis, so the strings had to make a curve.. Couldn't be good imo.

Nice piece of bass for that money anyway.

GrtZ,
Herwig

i was in neworleans this past weekend (actually in Gretna on the outskirts) and i browsed a couple of pawn shops....damn guitars and basses are cheap there! I saw a fender precission bass for 199 bucks....i started to buy it but i already have 2 basses. i saw a peavy guitar (the one that looks exactly like a strat) for 89 bucks. I bet if i hit alot more pawn shops in that area i could have found a les paul for around 350 bucks...considering the prices on the guitars i saw.

i guess there are alot of starving musicians pawning their axes there....its definatly a buyers market

Thanks everyone for your recomendations, I looked at all of them, I ended up getting a Samick bass from one of BBS members (Bassman) that he offered in the following thread:
http://www.homerecording.com/bbs/showthread.php?s=&threadid=58339

there is a picture and sound sample too. He said it needs strings. does anyone has recomendation on that. I'm guitar player so I'm not up on bass string types. Any recomendations for that paticular bass?

I was researching bass strings a bit here and would like to hear any opinions on different brands and type of strings.

thanks

Fed said:
there is a picture and sound sample too. He said it needs strings. does anyone has recomendation on that. I'm guitar player so I'm not up on bass string types. Any recomendations for that paticular bass?

I was researching bass strings a bit here and would like to hear any opinions on different brands and type of strings.

thanks

D'addario XL can't be wrong for any type of bass.

Back