• AKG D112

Votes: 9 75.0%
  • AUDIX D6

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • SHURE BATA 52

Votes: 2 16.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
ATM25 rocks, I also like the E/V ND868. The D112 has a scooped sound that it sort of colors all sources with...but maybe that's what you want.

The D6 is good for extended lows.

War

Go with the ATM25. It's $50 cheaper than the Beta 52 (which is $10 cheaper than the D112 and D6), yet it's probably just as good as any of those. Buy that and you've saved $50 for your next gear purchase :cool:

Thanks i will do some more research on those mics and see the difference.I was only looking at the 3 I mentioned but hay the more the marrier.
I will keep you posted

Not a big fan of E/V
ND 868 picked up way too much bass response easily distorted or something did not like what was coming out.
RE 20 nice mic but way too $$$$ for it's sound I know that, I used it in my buddies studio but not for Bass drum.
The ATM 25 I have 2 of them best mic for the $$$ I use it for the toms great but I find it lacks a little muddy on the bass.
SENN E602 I will be looking into that one I will add it to my research.
Thanks for all the feedback

grimy paco said:
Not a big fan of E/V
ND 868 picked up way too much bass response easily distorted or something did not like what was coming out.

sounds like you were overloading the pres. not the mic.

ev rocks. you wrong! checkemout stedman n90 as well. cheap.

D112 - studio standard, but not necessarily the best

ATM25 - not the pro25. Best deal in kick drum mics. Lots of great reviews.

Audix D6 - New mic on the scene. Outstanding reviews. It will always sound good, but it is more limited in the range of sounds it can get. Easy mic to just throw up and get a good sound fast with, but not for tweekers.

Any of these mics would be an excellent investment for a project studio.

I have used the Audix D6 live. It is perfect for that type of situation, especially if your sound guy is deaf in one ear (true story). We just threw it up there and it sounded good during sound check, and he never changed it the whole night. As far as recording, I think noise is right, it is a little limited. I personally use the Beta 52, which isnt much better, but I have gotten used to its tendencies, and I know how to work around them to get what I want.

I voted D-112, I've got one, never let me down, but I used an RE-20 in a previous studio and loved it on kick drum, upright bass, any horn, and some vocals. If you ever need to do voice overs or poetry, this is the beast. Hence, more variety than a D-112.

Myself, my favourite is the MD401. According to Sennheiser "the best mic in the world". I don't think I would go THAT far... but it's pretty good for micing kick drums ;)

Anybody ever used the good old AKG D12E? Nothing can beat the D12, it will do a great job on a number of other applications, like bass amp or even an upright bass, on floor tom, but it's my favorite kick mic. Geoff Emmerick used it!

all 3 rock!!

I've used all three and they all do well. the d6 is what i'm using now because my drummer wants that low frequency response, but thats all in mic placement anyway. the d112 is the best all around mic you could get for recording. they are easy to eq. the beta 52 is a good "woof" mic. good for contemperay type styles. but if you want bite the d112 is your mic.

Back