Bass crossover?

rockabilly1955

I need suggestions guys. We use bass amp head and a 2x10 cab and also a 1x15 cab. The amp does have two speaker outputs so having both cabs connected is no problem. The problem is that the amp is not biamped and we wanna be able to cut some lows out of the 2x10 cab. The amp does have an eq but it affects both cabs which we don't want. Is there any special crossover for this? Or can a regular eq pedal be connected between the amp and cab instead of between the instrument and amp input. Thanks guys!

Or can a regular eq pedal be connected between the amp and cab instead of between the instrument and amp input.

If you want to watch a stompbox explode I would indeed suggest doing this.

Otherwise, you are gonna have to get a crossover, I can't help you there.

I need suggestions guys. We use bass amp head and a 2x10 cab and also a 1x15 cab. The amp does have two speaker outputs so having both cabs connected is no problem. The problem is that the amp is not biamped and we wanna be able to cut some lows out of the 2x10 cab. The amp does have an eq but it affects both cabs which we don't want. Is there any special crossover for this? Or can a regular eq pedal be connected between the amp and cab instead of between the instrument and amp input. Thanks guys!

Actually, you can do this fairly easily (and cheaply) with an in-line electrolytic capacitor in series with the speaker(s) you want to protect. The value would depend on the impedance of the speaker(s) and what rolloff frequency you want.

You absolutely do not want to try this with an EQ pedal or any other instrument/line level device in the speaker circuit. You will certainly damage or destroy it and likely put the amp at risk as well.

if you go to the parts express web site i think they have a page that will help you to design your own hi-pass filter for this... the hard part will be figuring out where you want the thing to roll off... a soft slope (6db) from say 200hz should work nicely... good luck...

Thanks for the tips. We use an upright bass and the 2x10 cab is used for the loudness and slap. The 1x15 cab picks up the low thump. Would a rack mount 2 channel eq work for this purpose? Run the 10's to one channel and the 15 to the other channel? Yeah, after I posted my opening post I did realize that a pedal between the amp and cab would be stupid! That's live voltage going into it. :)

Thanks for the tips. We use an upright bass and the 2x10 cab is used for the loudness and slap. The 1x15 cab picks up the low thump. Would a rack mount 2 channel eq work for this purpose? Run the 10's to one channel and the 15 to the other channel? Yeah, after I posted my opening post I did realize that a pedal between the amp and cab would be stupid! That's live voltage going into it. :)

Nope, not unless your bass amp has two power sections, but in that case it would most likely have a Xover built in. You could split the signal like that into the two input channels, but the amp will just mix them back together in the power section.

Run the existing amp to one cab, run the other from line-out, eq, to a 2nd power amp?
Just curious though. What's the particular advantage to not just eq'ing for the tone of the two combined?
Most decent bass tens do both well and you would be reducing the surface area for the low end. It's almost always seeing one pitch or the other any way (except chorded' bass notes??). Thinking 'Biamp style advantages?

Hmmmm....

When I had my basscabs made, by an experienced audio/cab builder, he didn't wanna build me a 2x15" cab, but built a 2x10" cab plus a 1x18" cab stacked instead... These were built with filters around 150Hz....

Dunno... But I've been pleased as fuck with them, and so has every other bassplayer that have played through them.:cool:
Very good jazzbass type sound, a clear slap followed by a tidalwave of moving air by the bottom end...:D
IMHO perfect if you don't like the precision/tube/semi-middleish "ooomphhhh", but aim for definition.

YMMV, IMHO...and all that..

Back