Bass Boosts and mixes

DaveDrummer

Ive found that on normal boom boxes or home stereos, for a professional mix, if I turn up the bass or enable bass boost it's pretty clean. The bass instruments are brought out well. On my mixes the same happens, only now the whole mix (especially the drums) get too bassy and muddy up everything. any suggestions? Without bass boost or the bass turned up, it sounds fine.

Dave

Just in general terms (IMHEperience:p ) there is a fairly delicate balance of having some individual tracks' tones set to have enough body and fullness, but not so much (or many) as to cause tone build-up in the wrong places.
I'm also finding that these and other kinds of 'Little' mixing problems get brought out even more as the mastering process kicks in.

From Grinder's excellent ref. thread;
"Small rooms NEED treatment in the low mids. It is as simple as that. It is incredible how a mic can pick up the comb filtering effects of poorly treated rooms, and usually, the low mids are the first major problem you will experience in your mix. Too much or too little. "
I'm running into a mud-build-up-crap problem right now- in a different situation, for a slightly diferent reason, but with the same result. It's a live project, and the monitor/pa build-up effects almost everything. A low mid r/t + hump.
Bottom line: shitty stage conditions = lots of half-assed eq fixes.

Back